Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Clean the engine

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 03:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I-6 4.0 HO
Default Clean the engine

How do I go about this? I have a constant fear of doing ANYTHING to my XJ except maybe a lightbulb or something because I always think I'm gonna screw something up. I need to clean my engine because I think all the caked up grease the previous owner let build up is causing some overheating. Look for yourself..

Name:  100_0272.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  47.7 KB

Name:  100_0271.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  43.5 KB

Name:  100_0270.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  45.4 KB

Name:  100_0269.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  65.8 KB

Name:  100_0268.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  63.2 KB

So, how do I do it? And any tips how to get over this God forsaken fear of mine? I would like to fix the minor valve cover leak I have myself and paint it as well as the engine but I always think something will go wrong. I need a Jeepchiatrist.
Old 05-30-2010, 03:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 88
Engine: 4.0 HO

Warm it up because I get better results with a warm engine and spray it with engine degreaser try to avoid the relays and wiring harness and distributor. battery cables are fine. let it sit for like 10 - 15 min. and spray it all off with water till you don't see any milky colored water coming off anymore. start it and let it idle till motor is dry. Btw don't do this on a nice driveway. Good luck.
Old 05-30-2010, 04:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look around local maintenance shops as most have a steam cleaning process. I had mine done, and it looked ALOT better afterwards and got rid of a lot of the same grimy stuff.
Old 05-30-2010, 04:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 92
Engine: 4.0

some purple power and a pressure hose work wonders.

but, as said before, try to avoid spraying the distributor or the ECU by putting plastic bags over them
Old 05-30-2010, 05:00 PM

Year: 1996 two-door SE

You have reason to be concerned on this one. Moisture and electronics don't mix. The only sure thing is to fix your oil leak and forget about the rest.

If you just can't stand it, use an engine degreaser below the intake manifold on the left side of the engine and below the distributor on the right side. Then rinse from the bottom and be careful what you spray. On everything else use old rags and a solution of Dawn dishwashing detergent. Wring out the rag, and wipe things down. Afterwards, do not rinse.

It's not easy work, but you need to be careful.
Old 05-30-2010, 05:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 92

Originally Posted by 96tudor
You have reason to be concerned on this one. Moisture and electronics don't mix. The only sure thing is to fix your oil leak and forget about the rest.

If you just can't stand it, use an engine degreaser below the intake manifold on the left side of the engine and below the distributor on the right side. Then rinse from the bottom and be careful what you spray. On everything else use old rags and a solution of Dawn dishwashing detergent. Wring out the rag, and wipe things down. Afterwards, do not rinse.

thats a little much
Old 05-30-2010, 05:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: Jeepless at the moment

Originally Posted by N20jeep
some purple power and a pressure hose work wonders.

but, as said before, try to avoid spraying the distributor or the ECU by putting plastic bags over them
This is important^^^^^ 'like stated dont do this on a nice driveway or a nice yard go to a coin op car wash some have engine degreaser at them afterwards its dry drive nows a good time to inspect for leaks so you can get them taken care of.
Old 05-30-2010, 06:15 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0l

Originally Posted by 96tudor

you don't have to be that careful.

i just cleaned my engine a week ago and i am glad i did, it looked pretty much like OP's. i took the air cleaner out(i have a cone filter) and taped the opening shut with a plastic bag. i taped bags around the distrubutor, alternator and coil/relays. then i just went to town with a bunch of simple green automotive(but any engine degreaser will work). i used a paint brush and a tooth brush and scrubbed almost everywhere, mine was so caked up that simply spraying on and washing off wasnt enough. took me about 3 hours total but the end result was fantastic, most everything is completely clean. i do notice it runs a little cooler now as well.

i had no issues whatsoever after either, once i rinsed it all down it fired up just fine. it smelled a little like the degreaser for a few days after, but thats it. i also second the advice of not doing this on a nice driveway.
Old 05-30-2010, 09:47 PM
CF Veteran

alright.. so While on this subject I might as well ask this.. how hard is it to PAINT the engine?
Old 05-30-2010, 09:49 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 1991Jeep_Man
alright.. so While on this subject I might as well ask this.. how hard is it to PAINT the engine?
Pretty hard with it in the vehicle if you ask me. If you pull it not so difficult once you get it clean
Old 05-30-2010, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by 1991Jeep_Man
I dont think its really worth painting, you dont see much of it once its in the jeep. I painted mine neon green(just the block) while I had it on the engine stand,... looked cool, but you can only see random small sections of the block.
Old 05-30-2010, 09:53 PM
CF Veteran

Is there any possible way to paint it IN the vehicle? Lord knows I dont wanna yank the thing out just to paint it.. unless its not as hard as I'm seeing it to be.
Old 05-30-2010, 09:59 PM
CF Veteran

remove all manifolds, wires, accessories because otherwise youre gonna with overspray everywhere
Old 05-30-2010, 10:17 PM
CF Veteran

What if I took off the intake and exhaust manifold and taped off everything else? Just cover up the p/s pump, a/c compressor, alt, and all of that?
Old 05-30-2010, 10:24 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0l

i wouldn't bother painting it in the jeep, it will be a royal PIA and probably won't turn out all that great. but, to each his own.

Quick Reply: Clean the engine