Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Cig lighter power outlet difference/swap?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 04:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Cig lighter power outlet difference/swap?

A picture tells 1000 words, so what is going on here? I bought a 3 switch bezel to replace my 2 switch one and the cig. lighter and power outlet plugs are different, and I can't figure out how to take them out of the bezels to swap them. Can anyone give me a hand? Did they switch what style plug they used at some point?
Attached Thumbnails Cig lighter power outlet difference/swap?-photo-2-.jpg  
Old 02-26-2013, 09:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.6L Stroker

My 2000 XJ has the bottom version with the colored connectors. It looks like the top two just have standard quarter inch flat contacts, so you could just clip your connectors off and crimp the wires to a standard blade style connector and plug them in as long as you get the polarity correct.

But to answer your other question, there are two small rectangular slots on the sides of the metal sleeve. There are two angled tabs molded into the walls of the plastic face plate. You need to use a razor blade from the back to pry the tabs out of the rectangular slots or use a small screwdriver to push the tabs out from inside the metal sleeve. Once the tabs are no longer catching on the rectangular slots of the metal walls, the outlets should push out thru the front.

Last edited by Cerveja; 02-26-2013 at 09:52 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Cerveja
My 2000 XJ has the bottom version with the colored connectors. It looks like the top two just have standard quarter inch flat contacts, so you could just clip your connectors off and crimp the wires to a standard blade style connector and plug them in as long as you get the polarity correct.

But to answer your other question, there are two small rectangular slots on the sides of the metal sleeve. There are two angled tabs molded into the walls of the plastic face plate. You need to use a razor blade from the back to pry the tabs out of the rectangular slots or use a small screwdriver to push the tabs out from inside the metal sleeve. Once the tabs are no longer catching on the rectangular slots of the metal walls, the outlets should push out thru the front.
Thanks. I found the small plastic tabs on the inside, but once I got the plugs out I noticed there were different slots in each bezel. I have no idea why there would be 4 totally different plugs with these 2 different bezels. Very frustrating, but I'll make it work.