Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Cherokee XJ 2.5TD whistle from Turbo area

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 05:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Cherokee XJ 2.5TD whistle from Turbo area

Hi There all, just bought my first Jeep today a 2001 Cherokee XJ 60th Anniversary 2.5 turbo Diesel with 130K miles.

Its in really great shape but does have a loud hissing noise coming from the turbo area (sorry said whistle in title but its more of a hissing noise) once the turbo starts spooling up under load. Sadly doesn't do it at idle so tricky to locate.

I suspect its my inlet manifold gasket but open to other suggestions before I pile in. Do the rubber inlet pipes feeding the inter cooler ever split ? what about the inter cooler itself although the noise seems closer to the firewall than that.

If I do fit a new gasket does it need to be a special one ? does it go on dry or with sealant ?

There was a very small bore plastic vacuum pipe with a hole in it, I replaced that but made no difference.
Old 04-30-2017, 06:28 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: Toyota 2.4l diesel non-turbo

Can't help with your specific question since my 2.5td is long gone. May I
make several "If I had it to do all over again" recommendations?

I highly recommend you buy a factory service manual for your Jeep. You can get it
by download for $7.95 from here : http://www.pacificcoastmanuals.com/j...e_manuals.html
2000 pages. The turbocharger is discussed in section 11a.

Download for free a parts catalog for your 2001 from here:
http://www.colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/XJ/
Your engine diagrams and parts are shown in Group 2.5LD.
This includes gaskets and Mopar part numbers if you need to
order something.

Also, do invest in an OBDII/EOBD code scanner. Any mechanic who
tries to work on that engine is flying blind without one. It doesn't
have to be an expensive one, just one that will read and clear the codes.

Please take moment and fill out your profile. The 2.5td was not sold in
the US, so there isn't much experience with it on this forum. You might
direct questions to the Australian forum where there are a good number of
td owners. http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/vbindex.php?
Old 05-01-2017, 11:43 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Engine: 4.0L

You're more than likely experiencing a boost leak which is why you only hear it under load. Turbo's make no boost at idle and very little when you rev in neutral/park. You can make a boost leak tester cheap from parts from the hardware store. Google is your friend.
Old 05-04-2017, 04:41 PM

Took the air filter box off today and connected up a smoke machine to pressurise the intake tract with smoke. Sure enough after a short delay lots of smoke coming from underneath the big intercooler pipe that connects the turbo outlet to the intercooler. Basically the top of the steering box had worn a big hole right through it.

Going to fetch it off tomorrow and see if I can effect a repair using a large tyre patch and lots of insulation tape. Suspect that wont last but boy those induction hoses are expensive.

Thankfully no leaks from the inlet manifold as that looked a pig to remove.
Old 05-05-2017, 08:44 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Engine: 4.0L

Good find. Wish I had a diesel XJ......
Old 05-05-2017, 04:42 PM

Well fetched pipe off today cleaned it up and tried to effect a repair using duck tape and insulation tape wrapped round and round. Waste of time now I still have the loud hiss accompanied by a horrible squawking noise.

Ordered a pair of second hand pipes off eBay hopefully they will arrive soon as the noise is driving me nuts.

If you drive a diesel XJ would be wise to check your intake pipe is not rubbing on the steering box like mine. I have now drilled a small hole in the lip of the radiator / fan shroud and cable tied the intake pipe to that to keep it clear of the steering box.

The previous owner had the steering box replaced and when they did that they left a sharp burr on the edge of it I think that is what has chewed through my intake pipe ....