Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

cherokee cuts off when turning right?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 08:27 PM
MJ>XJ

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default cherokee cuts off when turning right?

So im new to this forum and this is probly the only one im gonna try more then likely cause i dont want to try and keep up... In a dodge cummins forum to and cant remember which one now... lol... Anyways i got a 89 cherokee 5 speed 4.0 I6 4x4... Its got a 96 engine in it and im trying to figure out all the bugs. Ive gone through and replaced all the plugs, wires, distributor cap and button, fuel filter, pulled and cleaned throttle body, and now ive even pulled the fuel tank looked for problems and replaced the fuel screen while it was out and still got the same problem... It cuts off on me when i take a right hand turn? runs fine going down the road and stop lights and what not... Cant figure this dang thing out. Figured if anyone knew it would be at a cherokee forum so we will see!! There are no baffles in this tank only the tray style... Ive read stories about the cam sensors and all kinds of stuff but i just dont know what to try anymore... Any help would be great!
Old 03-23-2009, 08:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 liter RENIX I-6, DIY Cold Air Intake, 2.5 FM Exhaust, 3 Core Radiator

Sounds to me like the force when you take a right turn is causing something to short that shouldn't and is grounding out and turning your rig of. You could definitely troubleshoot a fuel starving problem with it sitting and idling. Just stick a high lift jack under the right side and start jacking it up. That would simulate a right turn for fluid reasons. If you have to simulate a right turn under speed to duplicate that could be a tough one.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by huntingman2706217
So im new to this forum and this is probly the only one im gonna try more then likely cause i dont want to try and keep up... In a dodge cummins forum to and cant remember which one now... lol... Anyways i got a 89 cherokee 5 speed 4.0 I6 4x4... Its got a 96 engine in it and im trying to figure out all the bugs. Ive gone through and replaced all the plugs, wires, distributor cap and button, fuel filter, pulled and cleaned throttle body, and now ive even pulled the fuel tank looked for problems and replaced the fuel screen while it was out and still got the same problem... It cuts off on me when i take a right hand turn? runs fine going down the road and stop lights and what not... Cant figure this dang thing out. Figured if anyone knew it would be at a cherokee forum so we will see!! There are no baffles in this tank only the tray style... Ive read stories about the cam sensors and all kinds of stuff but i just dont know what to try anymore... Any help would be great!
will it kill the motor if you turn the wheel right siting still
or is it only while your moving
Old 03-23-2009, 09:45 PM
MJ>XJ

only when moving... sitting still its fine... Its got kind of alittle kick to it like maybe alittle misfire but im not worried bout that right now... might just be the exhaust leak anyway... I just got it and have been getting it going again after sitting for a year... i need to go play in a empty parking lot... Make sure it doesnt do it in a left turn or anything else... Drives me nuts cause it doesnt do it every time... So ill be driving along and have forgotten about it then itll do it right in traffic and i look like a idiot starting it back up... Also itll start right back up afterwards... When i first got it and drove it the first 2 weeks it didnt do this... its been worse and worse the more i drive it... ill look around tomorrow and see if i cant find anything going on with the wiring maybe somewhere again but have done this also. Ive taken about every wiring harness while it was running and jerked them all around and still nothing... this jeep was a mess when i got it but i traded a 90 lumina aka...the dark night... was primer black... with 302,000 miles for it and it ran and 4x4 (did) work so i saw the potential having a 96 grand cherokee i lifted awhile back and loved... So heck i just dont know! Any ideas out there???
Old 03-24-2009, 10:26 AM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1991

check the ground I think there are two grounding straps on your motor
make sure they good un bolt them and clean real well
Old 03-24-2009, 01:08 PM
MJ>XJ

Exclamation

Alright so last night i took it out to the parking lot with the fuel light ON and did some donuts... to the right it would cut off... to the left it would ride fine... in reverse i couldnt get it to cut off either way... Today i took it and drove in the ditch at a hard angle drivers side down and it was still running i think it kinda sputtered alittle but kind of card to tell cause it was tall loud grass popping and breaking... So i went and put in $20 worth of gas... 11 gallons... still does the same thing? Ive looked at the ground for the batt and it bolted tight and wont budge... But i would think if that was the case if it werent right i would have probs starting and id be loosing the presets on the radio? You may have been talking about the ground for the engine to the frame but im not sure... Ill look and see about them also... Different motor so it may not even have any? Would that cause it to do this though? i wouldnt think so? Any ideas folks?? Thanks for all your time!!
Old 03-24-2009, 02:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My CPS sensor harness is broken where the little tab clicks down. And every once in awhile I was cutting off for no reason, so after checking everything I could see where the CPS connector was just as little loose. So I had it running and gave it a little shake and it cut right off. Might be you problem.
Old 03-24-2009, 05:35 PM
MJ>XJ

Ive wiggled every wire and harness i could find while it was running and still nothing... Ill check out the CPS tomorrow if its not raining to bad... If i remember right its on the back side of the motor behind the intake and exhaust setup right? Ill give it tug while its running and see what happens... Thanks for the info! Any other ideas folks? Im about ready to just take it somewhere and let them deal with it but im a mech myself and id hate to kill my pride by doing that but ive tried everything but just swapping out parts... lol. Thanks again!
Old 03-24-2009, 08:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Engine: 4.0 liter RENIX I-6, DIY Cold Air Intake, 2.5 FM Exhaust, 3 Core Radiator

Is there any sign that your battery might be moving over or possible bouncing up and the positive lead is arcing against the hood, or front or side of the engine bay? It's just about gotta be something over there where the battery, alternator and distributor is that's torquing over while you're in a hard right turn and arcing or shorting and cutting your motor off.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:02 PM
MJ>XJ

The batteries not strapped down so ill double check that also in the morning if i get a chance before the rain moves in... suppose to get ugly... But ive replaced the battery terminals and cleaned up the Batt and tested it and it was good... all this because it was nasty and kept loosing connections awhile back... Dont remeber seeing any weld like marks but ill look around and double check... and move the batt around every which way too just to check... Thanks!
Old 03-25-2009, 02:10 PM
MJ>XJ

Well i messed with it some more today... rain still hasnt even got here... damn weathermen... I double check with the battery and its fine... not touching anywhere... i took it to a buddies shop and put it on the lift and checked out the crank sensor and it was all tight and buckled down... Lowered it back down and unplugged it from the top and the jeep cut off... plugged it back in and it started fine... My buddy didnt have a fuel pressure guage so i took it to another show that i got some friends at and hooked it up... It had 39 psi when the vacuum was disconnected from the fuel pressure reg and 31psi with it on... just like the paper work said... parked the jeep on a hill learning to right simulating a right turn and fuel pressure read the same... He asked if i had check all the wires and as i was saying yeah i grabbed the crank sensor wire only to get a ***** in my finger... looked and under all the grease the wires were bare as could be... So i got excited and pissed at myself at the same time and zip tied it up so it wasnt on the exhaust manifold anymore... Thinking it was good to go i went to the parking lot again and nope... still doing it... So now im even more pissed... I dont have a clue on what to try anymore... Fuel pump has good pressure... not a problem there i dont think... it doesnt come on when the key is in the on position but does when i start it... think thats wrong but it works anyway... i just dont know...
Old 03-26-2009, 04:18 PM
MJ>XJ

Soooo nobody has had this problem huh? This sucks... guess im gonna have to drop it off at jeep and let them deal with it... and spend the extra moneys x3... Thanks for the ideas guys!
Old 03-30-2009, 04:42 PM
MJ>XJ

Its finally fixed!! The problem i had with my jeep cutting off when i turned right was... the steering column... yeah never would have guessed... buddy up at nissan said chevys had a problem with it and i probly did to... just enough torque on the column turning right for my little ignition rod to pull away and turn it off... started my jeep... pulled hard on the steering wheels and WAM!! it cut off... I jsut thought my tilt was broke but he says theres bolts in the that come loose and need to be tightened... tilt and cutting off with be fixed! Even let me borrow his little tool to pull the pins out of the side to get to them... Thanks alot you guys for the advice on things to try but it turned out to be alittle weirder... 1 month later
Old 03-18-2010, 09:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Grand Cherokee
Default Same issue.

I just got on this. Too bad I didn't see this forum earlier, I could have saved you some time by telling you what NOT to replace. I have a 99 Grand Cherokee 4.0 and it's doing the same thing. I have replaced the crank shaft sensor, the cam shaft sensor, the MAP sensor, the air temp sensor, plugs, wires, checked every single damn harness and connection from bumper to bumper, the fuel pump, and fuel filter.

None of it has remedied the problem.

There is a bit of difference with mine, though. Mine only does it all the time when the fuel is 1/4 tank or less. It'll do it sporatically when fuller, but does it like clockwork when 1/4 tank or less. I didn't see that in your thread. Did you notice that with yours?

At any rate, I'll try the steering column trick, because it is loose. I know what three screws you are talking about because on my old Dodge Ram (lifted high) they used to come looese all the time because I had to pull myself up into the truck (yes, the lift).
Old 12-04-2011, 03:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2007
Model: Grand Cherokee (WK)
Engine: 3.7L

mine is doing the same thing, when it first started a few months ago it would only happen if i had less then 1/4 of a tank and as soon as i was around the corner it would start right back up on its own but now it's happening no matter how much gas is in the tank the fuel pump is only about 8 months old I took it out again today and everything looks fine
The following users liked this post:
Rugerman833 (03-26-2021)

Quick Reply: cherokee cuts off when turning right?