Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Cherokee "Country" keyless remote

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 10:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Cherokee "Country" keyless remote

Got a 95 XJ "Country" edition with lots of electric doodads. It's got power door locks and windows that all work (although the power seat is toast). On the ceiling is what I assume is a receiver for a keyless entry remote, but I don't have the remotes. Does anyone know if there's a way to get remotes? Either original or aftermarket that can be programmed for the car?
Old 10-01-2017, 11:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey folks, my apologies for cluttering up the forum with yet another post on this subject. I got un-lazy and did a search, found lots about remotes.

What I learned: The remote system on the '95 is line-of-site infrared, hence that little dome on the panel between the sunshades. Apparently, the infrared system kinda sucks, as you've pretty much got to be at the door for it to register. Yes, infrared remotes can be had for ~$50, but I could buy a much better complete RF remote system and wire it into the power locks for less than $30.

So ... bye bye infrared remote and all that wiring. I'll re-purpose that 12V wire for map lights.
Old 10-01-2017, 11:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I found an OE remote on eBay for about $150 for my 96 Country...programmed in 5 minutes. Worth it to me for ease of setup/ having it look stock.