Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Check engine and rough ride only sometimes

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 09:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Check engine and rough ride only sometimes

Need help me with my 98 Cherokee Classic. I had a crack in my radiator and lost all my fluid and my check engine light came on. I replaced the radiator but the check engine light comes on every few days along with stalling and rough idle. Usually starts fine but when I turn the wheel at the end of my driveway is when the stalling starts, then the light goes out and all seems fine after a few miles or so. its four miles to drop my kids off at school. If not gone by then, it usually is when I get back in and start the truck again for my mile ride to work I took some advice from another post and took it to an auto parts store and got two codes P0123 and P1597. I was told by the sales guy taking care of the P0123 would likely take care of both codes. 50 dollars later I still have the check engine light on. Could i fix the P1597 error myself. I saw the part and had no idea what it was nor where to put it.
Also when I put the part to fix the P0123 there was a stick thing that was sticking out of the part I where I had to put the part (throttle position sensor) onto. Should I have turned it first or just leave it alone as I did?