Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Check Engine light etc

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 12:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Check Engine light etc

Hello all! I have a 1998 jeep cherokee classic with a little over 180,000 miles and I am having intermittent check engine light troubles. A code came up that said "intermittent crank position sensor loss". I had the CPS and my distributer pick up sensor replaced earlier last year. I really don't know what to do but it only comes up every once and a while mainly after a car wash. Engine is running fine with no problems running or at idle. Also I have a squeaky front end when turns are made. Any help on these subjects would be greatly appreciated!
Old 03-12-2013, 04:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Since it came up after a car wash, the connectors may be getting a little water inside. I like to schmutz them up with a bit of grease to keep moisture out, like we do with x-ray cable connections. If you can get some silicone dielectric grease, that's even better... less likely to melt under higher temperatures. Put it in each socket of the connectors, so it gets on the contacts when you plug it back together. GM puts grease inside some of their connectors from the factory, Chrysler may also.