Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Check Engine Light on, but no codes...

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 04:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Check Engine Light on, but no codes...

Hi guys!
My 99 XJ is my third Cherokee... This one has glitches I haven't seen before
As most XJ's are, this one is dependable and functional. However, I've noticed that this XJ has an issue that plagues me.
It starts fine and runs OK (usually)...until the temp gauge starts to show warming up to about running temp (212ish?). Around then, it shudders and seems to die for a split second, but then catches and runs OK. Nope, no check engine light, but...wait for it... I've had the folks at O'Reilly's hook it up and they couldn't find any codes pop up.
Well, last week, it did the same thing except this time, the check engine light came on and hasn't gone out. Went to O'Reilly's again and they still couldn't find a code.
But wait, it gets better! To throw a monkey wrench in the works, there's been a couple of incidents where the engine dies, and the gauges, etc., go to zero, but the engine catches on again.
The battery checks fine and the grounds look fine, by the way.
Thanks in advance...
Old 10-17-2016, 06:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Engine: 4.0

Are the O'Reilly pukes looking for 'Pending' codes? Occasionally a CEL will trigger because of a pending code. Have them check it again.

Are you just looking at the grounds or have you disassembled their attachments and cleaned the ring terminals? Double check the condition of your battery connections as well.
Old 10-18-2016, 11:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine: 4.0L

I was kind of peeking over his shoulder, but all I saw was, "working". Doubtful if he checked anything pending.

As far as the battery, I had to replace it a few months ago, but after install, there's been no change as to what is happening. Nope, I haven't checked the grounds in detail, but I'll check some posts here to figure it out and I will. I just kinda figgered that with it cutting out for a split second when it hit running temp might've been something that stuck out.

For the record, I did do a site search, but after 10 pages of looking, I couldn't find what I was looking for. Hence, this post. Sorry if it's out there somewhere, but my search skills must suck.

Thanks!