Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Check engine

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 01:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Hey guys I got a check engine light on so I checked the code and it gave me a p0753 and p0700. The 753 is a shift solenoid and the 700 is the transmission control module. I replaced the solenoid in the middle on the valve body cause from my understanding that's the shift solenoid a which is what I was told by research the one I need to replace. The problem is still there and the check light is still there I tried erasing the code and it came back. The odd thing is the obd in the jeep when I did the key trick gave me a 45 code which I can't find anything on the net about. Where do I go from here the solenoid was a lot of money so basically I through money away I don't want to do that again any thoughts possibly the tcm? Thanks for the help I suppose it would help to know what it is I have a 97 jeep cherokee sport 4x4 4 door

Last edited by kohler97sport; 10-01-2014 at 01:54 PM.
Old 10-01-2014, 02:29 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0 renix

First things first (man I can see why cruiser and the other guys here just have a link to his tips in their signature now, guess I will too):

Clean/refresh your dipstick ground (one of cruiser's tips) - the TCM is grounded there, as well as like everything else that is important. Secondly: Refresh the plug for the TCM (passenger side, tucked up behind the relay area somewhere, it's a multi plug harness, pretty obvious - whatever ones you see (anywhere on the truck for that matter) you might as well clean) - disconnect it, contact cleaner the crap out of it - and if there's corrosion, sand/clean it as necessary. This is also another of his tips.

I would do those things first, as you ALWAYS REFRESH GROUNDS AND CONNECTIONS BEFORE GETTING PARTS, which seemed to be your train of thought anyway (not getting parts you don't need yet) which is good.

Try these (free) tips and see what happens. I'm gonna bet it should fix the issue since you already did the solenoid...
Old 10-01-2014, 02:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by kohler97sport
Hey guys I got a check engine light on so I checked the code and it gave me a p0753 and p0700. The 753 is a shift solenoid and the 700 is the transmission control module. I replaced the solenoid in the middle on the valve body cause from my understanding that's the shift solenoid a which is what I was told by research the one I need to replace. The problem is still there and the check light is still there I tried erasing the code and it came back. The odd thing is the obd in the jeep when I did the key trick gave me a 45 code which I can't find anything on the net about. Where do I go from here the solenoid was a lot of money so basically I through money away I don't want to do that again any thoughts possibly the tcm? Thanks for the help I suppose it would help to know what it is I have a 97 jeep cherokee sport 4x4 4 door
P0753 replaced MIL 45. P0753 is listed in my '99 FSM as "An open or shorted condition detected in the overdrive solenoid control circuit."

Here's a pic of the solenoids. The center one is solenoid A, and the front one is solenoid C, TC lock up.

Are you having problems with the torque converter not locking up. Besides a CEL, what are your problem(s)?

Name:  jpgSolenoidsID-1.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  106.1 KB

Is your transmission fluid clean? Is it serviced to full? Are you uing Dexron III?Mercon fluid?
Old 10-01-2014, 02:52 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Stabsthedrama
First things first (man I can see why cruiser and the other guys here just have a link to his tips in their signature now, guess I will too):

Clean/refresh your dipstick ground (one of cruiser's tips) - the TCM is grounded there, as well as like everything else that is important. Secondly: Refresh the plug for the TCM (passenger side, tucked up behind the relay area somewhere, it's a multi plug harness, pretty obvious - whatever ones you see (anywhere on the truck for that matter) you might as well clean) - disconnect it, contact cleaner the crap out of it - and if there's corrosion, sand/clean it as necessary. This is also another of his tips.

I would do those things first, as you ALWAYS REFRESH GROUNDS AND CONNECTIONS BEFORE GETTING PARTS, which seemed to be your train of thought anyway (not getting parts you don't need yet) which is good.

Try these (free) tips and see what happens. I'm gonna bet it should fix the issue since you already did the solenoid...
He has a 1997 XJ. The TCM is not grounded at the dipstick (G102), it is grounded at the coil mount bracket studs (G101).

The TCM is located under the dash on the driver's side.
Old 10-01-2014, 04:00 PM
Seasoned Member

Thanks Ken.
Old 10-01-2014, 04:19 PM

My problems are just mainly shifting to early or to late once I'm driving it stays in gear
Old 10-01-2014, 04:44 PM
Seasoned Member

You might want to do kickdown cable adjustment. This won't "fix" anything, but will help with shifting symptoms.

It will make a world of difference with shifting. Just press the "D" shaped button down on your throttle cable, pull the cable through a few "notches" and let it click back into place. Its really that simple. I would do this either way. Its simple, free, and puts a lot of ***** back into the shifting and makes it make more "sense" overall.
Old 10-02-2014, 11:57 AM

At ken I replaced the fluid when I changed out the center solenoid so it has fresh fluid. The center solenoid is the over drive solenoid correct? Basically symptoms consist of going into gear to soon and it feels like the engine is bogging as if you changed in a manual to soon. Or sometimes it will wait to long to shift and rims go up then it eventually shifts. I don't what it feels like if the tc doesn't lock up so I can't tell if it is or not.
Old 10-03-2014, 11:20 AM
CF Veteran

At ken I replaced the fluid when I changed out the center solenoid so it has fresh fluid. The center solenoid is the over drive solenoid correct? Basically symptoms consist of going into gear to soon and it feels like the engine is bogging as if you changed in a manual to soon. Or sometimes it will wait to long to shift and rims go up then it eventually shifts. I don't what it feels like if the tc doesn't lock up so I can't tell if it is or not.
The TC Lock Up (Overdrive) solenoid is the forward solenoid. See photo of the solenoids I posted above.

Did you try the TV cable adjustment as Stabsthedrama suggested?

Refer to this thread:

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/free-quick-fix-41821/
Old 10-03-2014, 11:48 AM
CF Veteran

You could have a failing Torque Converter or the Torque Converter Solenoid is not operating properly.

Here's a brief explanation about the TC operates. You'll see that the Torque Converter Clutch not only operates as an Overdrive function in fourth gear, it operates through the gears.

The torque converter is a hydraulic device that couples the engine crankshaft to the transmission.

The torque converter consists of an outer shell with an internal turbine, a stator, an overrunning clutch, an impeller and an electronically applied converter clutch (TC Lock Up Solenoid). The converter clutch provides reduced engine speed and greater fuel economy when engaged. Clutch engagement also provides reduced transmission fluid temperatures.

Torque converter clutch engagement occurs in second gear in 1–2 position; third gear in 3 position and third and fourth gear in D position. The torque converter hub drives the transmission oil (fluid) pump.

Note also that the TC drives the transmission oil pump.

Here's a simple check to see if the TC is fully driving the trans oil pump. This is an cold oil level check from the Owner's Manual. It is not a conclusive test to se if the TC is okay, but may reveal a problem.

Name:  rev1Visio-Drawing1.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  475.9 KB

If the fluid level does not drop to below the ADD line or it only goes part way down the OK range, there may be a problem. If when doing this check the fluid disappears off the end of the dipstick you don't have enough fluid in the teransmission and needs to be brought up to just below the ADD line, then drive the Jeep for about 15 miles and do a hot fluid check where the fluid level should be near the MAX line.
Old 10-05-2014, 11:16 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by CCKen
You could have a failing Torque Converter or the Torque Converter Solenoid is not operating properly.

Here's a brief explanation about the TC operates. You'll see that the Torque Converter Clutch not only operates as an Overdrive function in fourth gear, it operates through the gears.

The torque converter is a hydraulic device that couples the engine crankshaft to the transmission.

The torque converter consists of an outer shell with an internal turbine, a stator, an overrunning clutch, an impeller and an electronically applied converter clutch (TC Lock Up Solenoid). The converter clutch provides reduced engine speed and greater fuel economy when engaged. Clutch engagement also provides reduced transmission fluid temperatures.

Torque converter clutch engagement occurs in second gear in 1–2 position; third gear in 3 position and third and fourth gear in D position. The torque converter hub drives the transmission oil (fluid) pump.

Note also that the TC drives the transmission oil pump.

Here's a simple check to see if the TC is fully driving the trans oil pump. This is an cold oil level check from the Owner's Manual. It is not a conclusive test to se if the TC is okay, but may reveal a problem.

If the fluid level does not drop to below the ADD line or it only goes part way down the OK range, there may be a problem. If when doing this check the fluid disappears off the end of the dipstick you don't have enough fluid in the teransmission and needs to be brought up to just below the ADD line, then drive the Jeep for about 15 miles and do a hot fluid check where the fluid level should be near the MAX line.
Off-topic

That is a great idea. . Thanks for sharing