Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Changed my TPS now what???

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 09:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Changed my TPS now what???

Hi guys and gals,
So after reading several threads about issues similar to mine i was totaly convinced I needed to replace my throttle positioning sensor, well i just did it and its maybey worse
Heres some background on why i made the change. I put in new fuel injectors last fall, they were Ford injectors but i was told they were plug and play and they would not leak fuel at the top of them like my oem ones did which is why i was replacing them. Install was pretty easy but immediately after replacing them my jeep started to die when i would let off the accelerator, usually after i come to a stop then try to accelerate it would die.
I was told by the company that sold me the injectors that he had several customers who put these in there cherokees with no problems so I took it to a local mechanic several times and he couldnt figure it out. ended up puting in new fuel filter, fuel press. reg. and was told the fuel pump was ok. As summer has come it rarely dies now if ever ,
I can even take off w/out warming it up and in winter it would die if i did that.
The reason I wanted to put in a new TPS is cuz I have almost no power, i mean i put it to the floor and for a 1/2 a sec it acts like its gonna do something but it just puts up to the speed i am trying to get to eventually. So i just installed a new TPS and went for a drive, had no more power than before and as i was pulling in my driveway which is kinda steep i stopped at the top then accelerated and it died, i tried this a few times and it died almost every time, the RPM's go to like 100 and it either dies or eventually goes back to 1000 RPM's.

Sorry for the long post but i know some of you guys have had these issues Im just looking for help since i cant afford the dealer and my mechanic doesnt seem able to help. thanks alot

Last edited by airdetail; 07-22-2009 at 09:17 PM.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

lol nothing??
Old 07-23-2009, 01:01 AM
Renix Super Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990XJ/1989MJ
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0L Renix

Did you just install it or did you install and adjust it? We need to adjust a TPS on Renix XJs they are not plug and play. Also sounds like your TB could use a cleaning and that includes the IAC.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:52 AM
CF Veteran

Received 481 Likes on 413 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

Blue is the Guru, follow his advise.