Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.
Old 09-14-2015, 03:48 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Car stereo install ??

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 11:22 AM
::CF Administrator::

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default Car stereo install ??

Ok so I am sitting here and finally have time to install this stereo...been a long time since I did this...Anyways here's the situation..

Speaker wires are easy purple, grey, green and white
red and yellow - battery and ignition
orange - dimmer

black - ground to chassis and I assume I will see where this connects once old radio is out...

Now the ones I am not sure on...
Brown - (labeled Mute) not sure where it goes but book says connect to terminal that is grounded when the either the phone rings or during conversation..

blue/white strip - (labled P.Cont) says to connect to power amp control terminal with option power amp or power antenna control terminal

Blue - (labeled Ant. Cont.) Basically says to connect to control terminal for motor antenna or power terminal for booster amp for film type antenna..

Those last three are what the stereos books say...Now the wire adapter that came with it to plug to factory radio plug has the speaker wires, battery dimmer and ignition wires covered and then has a blue wire labeled power antenna..So I assume it goes to one or both of the blue wires on the radios wires harness.. My question is this if I am removing the power antenna do I need to even hook those up or can I just keep em taped/capped off?
Old 07-30-2008, 12:24 PM

Ok figured it out...seems the brown wire is for blue tooth if car is equipped and will auto mute radio when cell phone rings..eh don't think they had that in 91.. The blue wires are for a power antenna or amp...Since I am removing the power antenna as it's broke anyways and I have no amp I need to power on when the radio is on no need for those wires at all...So I'll just cap em off and proceed with this damn install..
Old 07-30-2008, 12:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Year: 87
Model: Wagoneer

Originally Posted by okcjeeper
Ok figured it out...seems the brown wire is for blue tooth if car is equipped and will auto mute radio when cell phone rings..eh don't think they had that in 91.. The blue wires are for a power antenna or amp...Since I am removing the power antenna as it's broke anyways and I have no amp I need to power on when the radio is on no need for those wires at all...So I'll just cap em off and proceed with this damn install..

I looked at the mass confusion of wires behind my wifes dash on her rig. Then stuck the key in the ignition and drove it to a local radio shop. They put my radio in with a new mount plate for 40 bucks took them an hour. I would have sat there all day and probably still wouldnt have hooked it up right.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:33 PM

Yeah I am looking at all this and seriously considering calling a shop and have em put it in...lol I am sorta being lazy..I just don't want to do this for some odd reason..
Old 07-30-2008, 12:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wiring for a stereo is easy. It's pretty much just match up the colors from your CD deck to the wires on your harness..

Sounds like you've got it figured out ok.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:48 PM

Yeah wiring is simple I just hate mounting these damn things..I can take it to a local shop and have them put it in for $30...hmmm
Old 07-30-2008, 02:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 94 XJ
Engine: 4.0L

The Sony Xplod are real easy to mount. They bolt right into the factory radio hanger. The wiring adapter was even easier...the colors all matched.

Tricky part was getting the CD player in the dash with the extra wire and connector. Not a whole heck of alot of room there.

But now that it's in...it looks factory, fits perfectly thru the bezel. Have about 1/16" all the way around.

She yelled at me when we first got it, "Why do you need a CD player w/a remote for. Just reach up there and change it...sheesh."

After she tried "just reaching up there" with the small controls, I don't think she would know what to do W/O a remote.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:45 PM

Yeah mine has a remote now that's gonna be cool....
Old 07-30-2008, 03:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0

yeah wiring on a jeep is damn easy unless the retard who owned the thing before you went threw and ripped and cut every wire they could get there hands on. So know i had to go threw run all new speaker wire and everything else.
Old 07-30-2008, 03:39 PM

Yeah I may just throw the puppy in tomorrow and see if I can mount it...wiring is usually pretty straight forward..it's the mounting and getting it all to line up properly...
Old 07-30-2008, 05:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 ltr

velcro the remote to your steering wheel so you can be like the new cars with the radio controls on the wheel.. Truthfully though, might be better than having it sliding around in the center console.
Old 07-30-2008, 05:28 PM

I plan on velcoring it somewhere..hmm steering wheel could be pimp.. Wait till I get my headliner done I think you guys will like what I do..
Old 07-30-2008, 09:08 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0l

ive installed over a dozen stereos and amps in various cars(2 in cars that had no stock stereo/wiring/harness), but ive never used a harness adapter. http://www.installdr.com has all the wiring info for most cars and its real easy to figure out.

personally though, i like to run new speaker and power wires because stock wiring usually sucks. im th kind of person who needs an amp for my stereo, and not for the "boom, boom" music, when set right it adds tremendous depth to the music. but amps require power straight from the battery, so when i run that, i run new power for my head unit. ground gets attached straight the a frame piece, and new speaker wires are run. all i really use for original wiring is the ACC line from the ignition. i always label the new lines i put in though.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:09 PM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0l straight 6
Default stereo came unplugged

I have an aftermarket panasonic deck in my 95 xj. It was plugged in running inline with a fuse and has come unplugged. my haynes manual doesnt give a clear description for my year on labeling what fuse is what, I've plugged it in a few times where I think it goes with no luck.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:45 AM

Year: 2000 Limited
Engine: 4.0

What is the specific Panasonic model? That is where you will find the fuse rating. Do you have the old fuse. It will have a number like 5A 240V stamped on the side and will be hard to see. Not that this will help, but below is the fuse diagram for a 1995 XJ:

Name:  XJFUses1995.jpg
Views: 750
Size:  64.6 KB