Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Can i run E85 on my Cherokee?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 11:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 L Inline Six
Default Can i run E85 on my Cherokee?

I found this gas station down the street that sells E 85 Ethanol and its thirty cents cheaper! The only thing i'm wondering is if it will screw any major components up
Thanks all
Old 03-12-2010, 11:20 PM

Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0l

I had a friend who ran it in his car, he said that it ran fine on the highway, but around town it ran like crap
Old 03-13-2010, 12:12 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

NO!!!!!!!

Not in a bone stock motor, you'll burn up the valves. I took someones advice, someone that I thought knew what they were talking about and I ran it in mine. It cost me dearly. A complete set of valves, another 3 angle valve job, reset the stem height....OUCH!!

Can you run it in a 4.0L that has been properly modified? Yes you can.

Wide band 02 sensors, and a piggyback module for the PCM that can accept inputs from the new O2 sensors and properly control the injection system.
Old 03-13-2010, 06:25 AM
CF Veteran

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

The cost savings are offset by reduced fuel economy. Definately don't run it in an 18 year old vehicle not designed for it.
Old 03-13-2010, 08:43 AM

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0 L Inline Six

Dang alright. Good i asked.
THANKS!
Old 03-13-2010, 08:54 AM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 I6

Yeah don't run E85 in any motor not designated by the manufacturer as a Flex Fuel motor specifically for E85. When one runs E85, there is a slight gas milage pentalty...The ONLY reason that my mom runs E85 in her vehicle, is because the family has a farm and the majority of their corn goes to a local ethanol plant; she feels she is supporting our farm and surrounding farms.
Old 03-13-2010, 08:55 AM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by FrankZ
NO!!!!!!!

Not in a bone stock motor, you'll burn up the valves. I took someones advice, someone that I thought knew what they were talking about and I ran it in mine. It cost me dearly. A complete set of valves, another 3 angle valve job, reset the stem height....OUCH!!

Wide band 02 sensors, and a piggyback module for the PCM that can accept inputs from the new O2 sensors and properly control the injection system.

Man that's awful, Frank...Glad you were able to fix it though.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:44 AM

Year: 1989
Engine: 2002 WJ 4.0

don't forget that the e85 will eat the rubber components(fuel lines, injector o-rings, pressure regulator...) if they aren't compatible.

zedpapa
Old 03-13-2010, 09:46 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1996

Originally Posted by zedpapa
don't forget that the e85 will eat the rubber components(fuel lines, injector o-rings, pressure regulator...) if they aren't compatible.

zedpapa
I was just gonna say that...

The alcohol will eat any rubber.
Also, E85 is ~106 octane and is 15% lower on energy. You will lose alot of MPG.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:11 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4L
Default Same thing here

Originally Posted by FrankZ
NO!!!!!!!

Exactly the same. Used E85 without modification and, after a few months, the valves started failing. Now cylinder 2 has no compression. Estimate to have it fixed: $1,200.

The rubber is not a problem, though. If I am not wrong, manufacturers stopped using rubber in the early 90s...
Old 08-07-2010, 06:29 AM

Year: 90

e85 can be run like said above with proper mods, but again like said above not really worth it as you need ruffly 30% more e85 to equal normal gas, thats why the valves go because engine is running even leaner then amc/chrysler made them already, I run it in my 240sx just because its better with my turbo setup but i also run 1000cc injectors
Old 08-07-2010, 06:42 AM

Model: Wagoneer

That stuff is pure crap.
Old 08-07-2010, 07:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994

Originally Posted by firstime00XJ
Yeah don't run E85 in any motor not designated by the manufacturer as a Flex Fuel motor specifically for E85. When one runs E85, there is a slight gas milage pentalty...The ONLY reason that my mom runs E85 in her vehicle, is because the family has a farm and the majority of their corn goes to a local ethanol plant; she feels she is supporting our farm and surrounding farms.
True. I live in the middle of farm country and much of the production of corn is going to an ethanol plant in Marysville, MI about an hour away.

But there are bigger issues...like all the local farmers are cutting down what remains of standing timber to plant corn to feed the ethanol plant...that uses MORE energy to produce a gallon of ethanol that the ehtanol provides.

Second, the gas mileage penalty is not "small", it's 15%. So, if a $3 gallon of gas gets you 20 MPG, a $2.70 gallon of E85 gets you 17 MPG. Basic arithmetic will tell you that the mileage PENALTY is 50% greater than the savings.

Ethanol is a very bad deal for everyone. It is a political gesture and, in Michigan, it is particularly bad because it is causing farmers to move out of other more important cash crops (soybeans, beets, wheat, barley, and even alfalfa). The only good ethanol has done is to make some brainless politicians feel like they "left their mark". They did...but it's a skidmark.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:04 AM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by CAEMI
True. I live in the middle of farm country and much of the production of corn is going to an ethanol plant in Marysville, MI about an hour away.

But there are bigger issues...like all the local farmers are cutting down what remains of standing timber to plant corn to feed the ethanol plant...that uses MORE energy to produce a gallon of ethanol that the ehtanol provides.

Second, the gas mileage penalty is not "small", it's 15%. So, if a $3 gallon of gas gets you 20 MPG, a $2.70 gallon of E85 gets you 17 MPG. Basic arithmetic will tell you that the mileage PENALTY is 50% greater than the savings.

Ethanol is a very bad deal for everyone. It is a political gesture and, in Michigan, it is particularly bad because it is causing farmers to move out of other more important cash crops (soybeans, beets, wheat, barley, and even alfalfa). The only good ethanol has done is to make some brainless politicians feel like they "left their mark". They did...but it's a skidmark.
This.
Old 09-08-2010, 05:00 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4L
Default At the end, not valves, but head gasket

So I finally decided to bite the bullet and have the engine fixed.

To my surprise, when we opened it, it turned out that the valves where perfectly fine. The lack of compression was due to a cracked head gasket (between cylinders 2 and 3).

I still blame E85, but it is interesting that the valves were not warped at all. FrankZ, did you have any problem with your head gasket?

Originally Posted by Vinc
Exactly the same. Used E85 without modification and, after a few months, the valves started failing. Now cylinder 2 has no compression. Estimate to have it fixed: $1,200.
Attached Thumbnails Can i run E85 on my Cherokee?-img_0006_small.jpg   Can i run E85 on my Cherokee?-img_0007_small.jpg  

Quick Reply: Can i run E85 on my Cherokee?