Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Can Bus High Voltage

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 11:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Can Bus High Voltage

Hi all,

Bought an XJ 2000 with no instruments and a no can error on the odometer. Thought it would be just replace the cluster but no

Codes P1698 AND P1694 are showing

Replaced with another cluster but still no instruments but I do not get the message now with the new display and the engine light does not come on.

With the old cluster Airbag light is on then goes off for a second then on again. I take that this is just the Can Bus.

DLC pin 3 and 11 to pin 4 or 5 have 8vdc without the instrument cluster 6vdc with.

DLC pin 3 and 11 I get 60 Ohms with the cluster installed and 120 Ohms without.

Can bus voltage seems is very high

Removed the Crankshaft sensor connector, no difference.

What else could drive the voltage so high.?

I have measured the resistance between the C3 connector and the DLC port and that is 0.3 Ohms and even to the TCM it is a good connection.

Any help is very appreciated.
Old 05-22-2014, 08:56 AM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by glj100
Hi all,

Bought an XJ 2000 with no instruments and a no can error on the odometer. Thought it would be just replace the cluster but no

Codes P1698 AND P1694 are showing

Replaced with another cluster but still no instruments but I do not get the message now with the new display and the engine light does not come on.

With the old cluster Airbag light is on then goes off for a second then on again. I take that this is just the Can Bus.

DLC pin 3 and 11 to pin 4 or 5 have 8vdc without the instrument cluster 6vdc with.

Looks like there is a short to another power source.

Remove the TPS connector. Go from the body harness connector with the Brown/Yellow tracer wire (sensor ground circuit) to engine as a meter ground. Take voltage reading with key OFF, then take reading with key to RUN. You may see voltage on the ground network but not 8 or 6 volts.

If you do see 6-8 volts, the clockspring may be defective and is introducing the high voltage on the ground circuit.

Next, do the same with the Orange/Dark Blue tracer wire (sensor signal wire). This TPS signal wire is spliced to the TCM (pin 17) so with the TCM connected you may see voltage. Without the TCM connected there should be no voltage.

In any case, there is a voltage short to the CCD Bus (+) and (-) wires.

Take some of these redings and get back.

DLC pin 3 and 11 I get 60 Ohms with the cluster installed and 120 Ohms without.

These reading are okay. Proves the termination resistors in the Instrument Cluster and the PCM are intact.

Can bus voltage seems is very high

Removed the Crankshaft sensor connector, no difference.

What else could drive the voltage so high.?

I have measured the resistance between the C3 connector and the DLC port and that is 0.3 Ohms and even to the TCM it is a good connection.

Any help is very appreciated.
CAN Protocol was introduced in the 2005 Grand Cherokee. You still have the CCD Bus protocol.