Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Can anyone!!!!!!!! Please tell me what this is

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 04:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Angry Can anyone!!!!!!!! Please tell me what this is

i think its the voltage regulator but cant find anyone like it dont know what to do. every battery i put in my jeep burns up like its being over charged tested my alternator and its good ANY IDEAS ANY AT ALL

here is a link to the part. (this is the one on my jeep, its wired in no plug and play)

http://s929.photobucket.com/albums/a...911101432b.jpg

Old 09-17-2010, 05:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.o

Nope, that is just the wiring to your alt, depending on the year,(anything after 91) the voltage regulator is part of the pcm. make sure your batt is good (and fully charged) then check your charging sys. poor connections and /or a shorted battery will cause the alt to overcharge.
Good luck!
Old 09-17-2010, 05:10 PM
Caracticus Potts The Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee

X2
Old 09-17-2010, 05:18 PM

it is a 91 so you think its the connections or the battery. and how do i check the voltage regulator if its inside the PCM???
Old 09-17-2010, 05:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1999 XJ
Engine: I6 4.0L

How do you know your alternator is good? That, or a short, are the only things that should fry your battery. If you had it bench tested at AutoZone or some place like that, the monkeys that work there will tell you its good simply if it is putting out any charge. I would check to make sure you aren't exceeding a charge of 14.7 volts or so. Start it up and use a voltmeter on the terminals.
Old 09-18-2010, 02:29 PM

it was autozone who tested the alt. i am going to put it back together today and try a new battery and see what kind of voltage it is putting out.
i will let you know what happens

oh and i hear you can bypass the voltage regulator....HOW?
Old 09-18-2010, 03:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Autozone tested only the alternator with their good regulator, so yeah, it will test good. The voltage regulator is built into the PCM, you need the whole Jeep there to check the charging system. You can't bypass the regulator, plus if you could it would just make matters worse.
Old 09-18-2010, 03:43 PM
Registered Users

Engine: 4

my $.02 worth. I would check your earth grounds. It is very important that your battery is grounded properly.

Also, It does not take much voltage going backwards to the negative to overheat and melt the plates it the battery. It is also very dangerous. A battery can explode with violent force if a spark is present while it is boiling over. The gas exhausted is part hydrogen gas.

A bad wire job on a set of lights or not grounding a wincg properly or returning grounds to the battery can cause this. Lights, amps, winches, and things like that are always better earth grounded and the battery ground support the vehicle electrical system only.

DC voltage does not require a neutral, but a negative lead can carry voltage if the load is not wired correctly or a switch is not cutting the power all the way off. Direct wiring a load to a switch without a relay can cause this.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-21-2010, 01:36 PM

yeah i put a orbital red top the gel cell battery in it. that is what started smoking and got crazy hot so thats why i wanted to check the regulator i still want to know what this is================>

http://s929.photobucket.com/albums/a...911101432b.jpg
Old 09-21-2010, 02:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987 & 1996
Engine: 4.0

Normal charge Alternator will be 13.7 to 14.7 volts.
The voltage regulator is built into the Alternator and not an external part.
If ever in doubt on the alternator output just pull a cable off with it running. If it dies, alternator is not putting out. Start by checking the wires to the Alternator be fefore assuming its toast.
Old 09-21-2010, 03:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Originally Posted by Caish
Normal charge Alternator will be 13.7 to 14.7 volts.
The voltage regulator is built into the Alternator and not an external part.
If ever in doubt on the alternator output just pull a cable off with it running. If it dies, alternator is not putting out. Start by checking the wires to the Alternator be fefore assuming its toast.
Built into the PCM.
Old 09-22-2010, 02:29 PM

so i put everything back together and put a new battery in it. tested it with a voltmeter and its stays at 14.2 i think im out of the woods but don't know just yet i will keep y'all updated