Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

can AC core be used for heat

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2017, 11:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Question can AC core be used for heat

l have a 2000 Jeep grand Cherokee , Ac doesn't work and heater core is leaking if l flush out ac core can l hook up my heater hoses to it so l have heat. l live in Canada and have no use for ac but do need heat Ac core is good stone went thru the grill and punctured the core in front of the rad

Last edited by 54hoot; 08-19-2017 at 11:09 PM.
Old 08-19-2017, 11:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

A/C probably doesn't work because the evaporator was leaking, so short answer, nope. If you fix it right you only have to do it once.
Old 08-23-2017, 12:21 AM

Year: 1989,90
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 Renix

Here in Sweden we have more use for heat than a/c in the winter so i have used the a/c core to use as a heater for about 20 years now.
So if it not leaking you can use it but you have to take out the small screen that fits inside one of the tubes to the core or it will block the water.
Also you need to get some kind of valve to regulate the water flow or it will get too hot sometimes.
I use a water valve from a Volvo 240 but anything with mecanical adjustment works.
Mopar water valves from 60-70 are good but not easy to get by now.
Done right you can get realy warm inside cabin. My brothers Chevy Caprice-77 gets about +50 degrees Celcius in the back seat when it is -20 outside in the winter.
Old 08-23-2017, 12:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

I would have never thought of that. Love it. Simple and effective. Here in VA A/C is a priority.
Old 08-23-2017, 09:47 PM

Smile AC core

Originally Posted by Cherokee89
Here in Sweden we have more use for heat than a/c in the winter so i have used the a/c core to use as a heater for about 20 years now.
So if it not leaking you can use it but you have to take out the small screen that fits inside one of the tubes to the core or it will block the water.
Also you need to get some kind of valve to regulate the water flow or it will get too hot sometimes.
I use a water valve from a Volvo 240 but anything with mecanical adjustment works.
Mopar water valves from 60-70 are good but not easy to get by now.
Done right you can get realy warm inside cabin. My brothers Chevy Caprice-77 gets about +50 degrees Celcius in the back seat when it is -20 outside in the winter.

Thank you for the information.l will be doing this in the next week or two and let you know how l make out. Thanks Bob
Old 08-24-2017, 05:24 PM

Model: Cherokee(XJ)

interesting information
Old 09-12-2017, 12:26 AM

Smile iT WORKS

Disconnected my leaking heater core used new heater hoses to connect to my ac core and now have plenty of heat with no more steam. Come next spring l may put in a new ac core and heater core or leave it as it is because rarely used the ac but have to have heat living in Canada