Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Calculating Lift

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 01:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Calculating Lift

I'm pretty new to fourwheeling when it comes to having my own... A lot of guys here local are trail riding on weekends so my buddy and I picked up a 93 Cherokee w/ 4.0, Automatic...We don't do any rock crawling or anything of that sort, just some rough wood trails at best...

I read in one of the articles that running 31x12.50's would give one roughly 3 inches of lift... I'm assuming especially if ran on a narrow rim... What I'm wondering first of all is if that's correct... And I was thinking about just doing 2" blocks in the back and running 2" coil spacers in the front... Would that give me "roughly" five inches, or does it not work that easily...

I haven't looked into how the guys here are lifting the cherokee's because most of them have trackers and samurai's... I've helped with body lifting a tracker, but thats about it... I've always built mustangs and this is far from that, so I'm just kinda looking for suggestions... I would appreciate any input.. Thanks in advance!
Old 02-17-2009, 04:16 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0 H.O.

Ok, it's not quite as easy as that but still not too bad. You will not be able to run 31's on a stock suspension with out trimming the hell out of your fenders. Yes, running 31's in general will give you some lift just due to the height of the tire but if your gonna go that route (31's) then I would go with ATLEAST a 3" lift. There are plenty of people that run 31's on 2" lifts but in my opinion it doesnt look good and isnt trail worthy. I am currently running a 3" Rough Country lift kit with AAL in the rear and new coils up front on 235's and I LOVE IT!. After running this lift I see the need for new complete rear spring packs VS AAL's. I would forget the idea of lift blocks and spacers, they just arent good for the suspension, and get a kit with new front coil springs and new rear leaf spring packs. Personally, if your gonna run 31's, I would run nothing less than a 4-4.5" lift. Just think it works better and looks better. Get some pics of you new rig for us to look at!! Good Luck!!
Old 02-17-2009, 06:44 AM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Year: 87
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 4.0 I6

If you were measuring from the ground up then yeah 31's and a 2in BB would give you 5 in of lift lol. But we don't measure that way. I measure lift from the center of the tire too the fender.

You can do a BB for pretty cheap just search here for Budget Boosts. No one here will reccomend a BB because they are just not nearly as good as a real lift. If you are running 31's you will need 2-3in of lift. 4.5in of lift for 31's is overkill.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:25 AM
aka Wade-O

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1989 Comanche
Engine: 4.0

yeah, when people say they have "4in of lift" that is all suspension related. it has nothing to do with what tire they run.