Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

A/C system over-charge?

Old 07-18-2013, 09:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default A/C system over-charge?

Just a quick question. My '96 Cherokee's A/C was blowing just a little less than "cold" air so I picked up a can of 134 and a gauge tonight. As I was adding the refrigerant, the A/C started blowing very cold like it should but before I could turn the valve on the can off, it took too much and the gauge went into the red "warning" zone. Now when I turn on the A/C, the compressor comes on for about 1 second and then kicks off right away. I'm assuming this is a safety feature so I don't ruin the compressor. My question is, can I just depress the pin valve on the low side port and let some refrigerant out until the compressor kicks in and stays running? I know all the global warming/"climate change" folks will have a fit, but is this the easiest fix here?
Old 07-19-2013, 12:39 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Engine: 4.0L I6 H.O.

If you have a vacuum pump try to evac the system a bit with a vacuum gauge. You can pick up a decent pump from Harbor freight for about 100 bucks. The lines and gauges you need you'll have to find your own I just found my gauge and lines in a box at my dads in the garage. I'm in no way certified In hvac so maybe someone else can shed some light on this.
Old 07-20-2013, 01:32 AM

Year: 99
Engine: 4.0L

yes you can push the low side shrader valve pin to release some of the charge.
Old 07-20-2013, 08:15 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Originally Posted by Thax
yes you can push the low side shrader valve pin to release some of the charge.
Don't do it while the A/C compressor is running though, and be careful that you don freeze your fingers while "adjusting" the refridgerent level.
Old 07-20-2013, 09:33 AM

Thanks guys. I'm hoping I can let just enough out so that the compressor will continue to operate. I'll just let a little out at a time...connect the gauge...start it up and check the gauge. Might take a while this way, but I'm hoping I can get it back down to the correct level.
Old 07-20-2013, 12:43 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0, APN header & 2.5" exhaust

There's a specific amount of weight of refrigerant that's suppose to be in the system.. but that's besides the point. If you have no other options, just use a long screw driver to release some pressure.

Those gauges are just "general" pressure settings for a/c systems. I've had somebody show me on their recharge kit that it was in the "ok" range and I proved to them that after I evacuated the system, it was .5lb low of charge, making one side of the dual climate blow colder than the other.

Just a little fyi.. I know it can be pretty expensive to bring it to a shop to be professionally serviced.
Old 07-20-2013, 07:14 PM

Thanks torque062. I'm realizing that the best way to go is to take it in anyway. My drier/accumulator has been making this loud howling noise for years at times anyway, so I think I'm going to replace that myself and since the system will be empty after doing that...it would be a good time to just take it to a professional and have it evacuated and charged correctly. A/C systems just don't seem to be something for the weekend mechanic.