Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

A/C Fan not shutting down

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 09:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 99
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default A/C Fan not shutting down

For the search ****'s
The following words are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search: AC, Fan
I've got a 99 Cherokee "Coupe", and the auxiliary or A/C fan is not shutting down after I turn the engine off. It hasn't drained my battery yet thankfully After a while of it doing this, I'll go start the jeep, rev the engine a few times and shut down the engine, then the fan turns off. Could this be a sign of a faulty A/C fan relay?

Location of said relay? I've noticed that there are six or so relays along the fenderwell of the driver's side, is it one of these? TIA

Z
Old 08-26-2008, 09:55 AM
::CF Administrator::

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by Zach
For the search ****'s

I've got a 99 Cherokee "Coupe", and the auxiliary or A/C fan is not shutting down after I turn the engine off. It hasn't drained my battery yet thankfully After a while of it doing this, I'll go start the jeep, rev the engine a few times and shut down the engine, then the fan turns off. Could this be a sign of a faulty A/C fan relay?

Location of said relay? I've noticed that there are six or so relays along the fenderwell of the driver's side, is it one of these? TIA

Z
Oh don't worry we have no "search ****'s" around here..
On the fan relay I am not 100% sure but mine on a 91 is in the little black box of relays on the passengers side feder. Also could be the switch or maybe the plug or fan.. Me I'd start by unplugging the fan cleaning the connectors and maybe even checking for proper voltage and resistance. Also could be a grounding issue.. Relay would be a fairly easy check since you should have other relays that are the same you could swap out to test. Sorry not much help but never come across this issue and no experience on newer XJ's..

Also welcome to the site..
Old 08-26-2008, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by okcjeeper
Oh don't worry we have no "search ****'s" around here..
On the fan relay I am not 100% sure but mine on a 91 is in the little black box of relays on the passengers side feder. Also could be the switch or maybe the plug or fan.. Me I'd start by unplugging the fan cleaning the connectors and maybe even checking for proper voltage and resistance. Also could be a grounding issue.. Relay would be a fairly easy check since you should have other relays that are the same you could swap out to test. Sorry not much help but never come across this issue and no experience on newer XJ's..

Also welcome to the site..
Good to know, and thanks. It's just hard to try to unplug the fan when it's running. Tried that last night and the fan kept kitting my knuckles. Thankfully the fan is plastic and I was wearing gloves lol
Old 08-26-2008, 10:05 AM
Renix Super Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990XJ/1989MJ
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0L Renix

Mine is even older than OKCs and mine is located on the passenger side fenderwell too. You might have a bad sending unit too. It could be sticking in the hot position or whatever you call the position that thermal senders get into. If both are OK then you may want to consider a switch inline to shut it off when you want it off.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:19 PM

Late, but an update. Seems the secondary fan relay in the relay box on the passenger side has a bad socket I believe. I haven't torn it apart yet, as I've got another project going on with my turbo mazda, but I've got it set in the socket 'just so', so that it comes on and turns off when it's supposed to haha

Z