Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

A/c compress seized - nd advice on replacement brand & cost

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 10:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default A/c compress seized - nd advice on replacement brand & cost

My A/C compressor seized today. I was anticipating this because when I purchased my 2001 XJ Limited last Spring the compressor made a nasty knocking sound every time the clutch engaged and it was blowing warm air at that time. I did a leak test and sure enough it was the evap core so I had my mechanic tear the dash board completely out and replace it along with the heater core while he was at it. He replaced the core and refilled with refrigerant and it lasted all last Summer but the compressor still made the loud knocking sound and sounded like it wanted to explode.

Today around lunch time, hottest day of the year so far, it finally did, A/C was blowing cold but I could hear my belt start squealing, then it just stopped altogether and I could smell my belt burning on the A/C pulley. I did a visual and it was, so I disengaged the A/C. The pulley is spinning and the clutch seems to be engaging and that's when it starts smoking, the loud sound is gone and it seems like the pump is too.

So, is there a "best" brand A/C compressor that you know of and how much do you think it will cost to get it replaced (labor + freon, I will buy the part). I am leary of the big chain auto part stores when it comes to pumps of any kind since most are rebuilt and made somewhere South of the border and I've had bad experiences with parts from that region of the world. It's great that they give you a warranty and all that but most of the $$$ is in the labor, and I don't want to pay for this job 2X if you know what I mean.

I appreciate your input.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Replaced the one on my 98 with a 4 seasons rebuilt unit from Rock Auto. Way cheaper than any of the local parts stores. I put it in myself then took it to a shop and had it vacuumed down and charged for $75. 3 months in Texas heat so far and all is still icy cold.
Old 06-20-2012, 01:42 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Ditto on the 4 seasons. Put one in DW's Chrysler this spring, also from Rock Auto. Seems to do the job.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:53 PM

macgyver, how long has your RA unit been running? I could remove mine on my own but I don't want to lose all the freon I just had dumped into it last Summer. Most good shops have an extractor that sucks the freon out and can put it back in. If I could keep it all intact inside the old unit and just bring it to the shop after installing the new one, then ask them to transfer the freon to my new one I would do it.

8lugs

Last edited by 8lugnuts; 06-21-2012 at 04:55 PM.
Old 06-25-2012, 01:23 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

I put mine in 3 months ago. Working great! If you have a shop around that you are on friendly terms with, they may pull all your freon out, let you change the compressor yourself, then bring it back for a recharge. I just don't know if it's worth the hassle. I got mine vacuumed and charged for $75, so it don't know if it would have been worth the hassle of two trips to save $30.

And to any members that may comment on it...
Yes, I know that releasing freon into the atmosphere is not a good idea. But remember, the whole reason that they forced a switch from r-12 to r-134a freon was because it was safer for the environment.

Still others will tell you that you can charge it yourself in your driveway without vacuuming the system down. Yes, it will work, but not as efficiently as a vacuumed system. I always recommend a proper vacuum to remove moisture and atmospheric gases.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:34 AM

Well, I'm not gonna go on a rant about "safe for the environment" but I suggest reading "
Unstoppable Global Warming: Every 1,500 Years" Unstoppable Global Warming: Every 1,500 Years"
....a book(among many) that puts the subject in it's proper perspective. you may also visit http://fakegate.org/ and read the "Background" section, and further if you are interested in the subject.

btw EPA changed regs from R12 only for automobiles, not buildings, supermarkets, trains, planes, etc., which release wayyyy more into the atmosphere than cars & trucks ever could. Basically another useless and costly BIG 'Gumint reg.

I had my system recharged last year for about $70, then again after it all leaked out and I had to get my evap core replaced. I will see what my friendly neighborhood jackleg tells me but it's Summer and most have you by the short hairs when it comes to A/C....

I appreciate your input.