Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

a/c on 89 xj 4 liter doesn't work

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 02:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 Liter H.O.
Default a/c on 89 xj 4 liter doesn't work

Only blows "cool" air, no where near cold, i took the bolt of the top of compressor and it didn't look like any r12 was in there, not sure if there is supposed to be though. Also I read somewhere that when a/c is on max auxiliary fan should turn on and it doesn't, and none of the relays are marked so I am having issues figuring this out. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-14-2010, 03:05 PM

So the clutch isn't engaging, so I am guessing that is the problem. Is there an easy way to get to the relays, I have no idea where they are at, and I know the wiring and vacuum lines and everything is good behind control panel because I just checked it out when I swapped heater core. I tried jumpering the connector in this pic and clutch still didn't engage.

Old 06-14-2010, 05:18 PM

Someone please help me, lol vehicle is for sale and supposed to be picked up today and I would like to get the ac working. I tried swapping both auxillary fan and ac relays and that didn't help at all. Out of the ac relay there is a orange wire the gets heat shrink on it and there is a diode in there, and two black wires come out. The black wire with the diode gets screwed on the condenser and is supposed to be a ground, but it measures like 60 ohms to ground, and it is not shorted to the other black wire that goes into condenser that is supposed to provide voltage to engage clutch. Some more pictures are attached, 3 prongs on the relay socket have 12 volts, the one from the ECU, the one from fuel pump relay, and the one from thermostat switch all have 12 volts on them, the fourth has nothing, I suspect when relay closes it provides 12 volts to the 4th one but even with a known good relay in I don't get any voltage on that wire going to condenser (or whatever it is called, the one with the pulley on it) And the ground from condenser is like 60 ohms, where on my 91 jeep the ground is actually a ground with zero ohms. So is there a chance the wireing from underneath relay where the orange wire turns into to blacks (one with diode) or possibly a bad condenser)