Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

buzzing, small vibrations when decelerating

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default buzzing, small vibrations when decelerating

Hi all,
This is something where I've dealt with for awhile, and it seems to have no impact on the operation of the jeep.

When I start going, and up about say 30 and higher, If I let up on the gas to decelerate, there is a distinct buzzing from the front, quick and fairly loud, then stops. If I gradually decelerate, I can get it to buzz a little longer. It's more of a metallic sounds I thought it was the bushing or ball joints in my suspension, but I replaced or greased up everything. (sway bar, end links, drag link, ball joints, track bar, and the fitting on the from of the rear drive shaft.)
I can't recreate when its stopped and don't want to hang out of my door and listen while driving.

Has this happened to anyone else?

thanks for any advice!
Old 10-19-2017, 12:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

what first come to mind is front axle pinion seal and/or bearing, and front driveshaft u-joints and/or centering ball (in the cv joint). make sure all those are in good condition.

i have a humming sound on deceleration from 30mph and again decelerating from 60mph and I narrowed it down to the rear pinion bearing. since your front driveshaft is always turning (even when 4x4 is not engaged) i would imagine it's possible in the front.

a good way to diagnose would be to remove your front driveshaft and see if it changes antyhing and go from there. could probably also be a wheel bearing though, try to safely swerve left and right at a constant speed and see if you hear anything. if the sound varies when going left or right, it's usually a bearing

Last edited by Cane; 10-19-2017 at 12:50 PM.
Old 10-19-2017, 07:52 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 2.5 liter

Have you added a light bar to your xj? Don't want to sound stupid but those things make some goofy wind noises that only occur while moving.

We put a new windshield in a Toyota Tundra and immediately after we finished the windshield, the customer had one of those monster light bars put on. The customer was insisting that our windshield install was at fault. We ask about the light bar and he said he had just got it put on the day before. We took the bar off, sent him for a drive. The wind noise was completely gone. Put the light bar back on and the wind noise vibration returned.

Just a thought.

Happy Jeepin
Old 10-19-2017, 08:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

Check u joints, and any bushing/ mount in the driveline.
Old 10-27-2017, 01:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

Here is a video of the noise. I'm decelerating and you can get it at 2 seconds, and again at 5 seconds