Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Buying an XJ What to look for

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 08:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Buying an XJ What to look for

Hey guys I've been looking at Cherokees for a couple of months now. Wanting to purchase as an alternative to my F350 as a daily driver as well as something I can tinker on! So what better than an XJ!? I've been searching my local craiglist for a while now and came across this. Seems to be a good deal.. What should I look out for when I go check it out.. I'm in northern California.. Thanks any help would be appreciated!!

-1990 Jeep Cherokee $2500 OBO
-4 wheel drive
-4.0L straight six engine with automatic transmission
-all maintenence up to date including complete tune-up, transmission service,
engine oil and transfer case fluidd change.
-4 inch lift with BF goodrich All Terrain Radial tires
-clean title with recent smog inspection
-cargo rack on top
-off-roading lights on rack (covers included)
-CB radio and antennae
-190,000 miles, but only 50,000 on current engine
-great mud and snow vehicel. has been getting me up the mountain for work through the whole winter for
about 3 years now. I love this jeep but cant afford it right now and need the money from selling it.

Last edited by lostbuckaroo; 11-19-2011 at 08:57 AM.
Old 11-19-2011, 09:32 AM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 litre 6 cylinder

Originally Posted by lostbuckaroo
Hey guys I've been looking at Cherokees for a couple of months now. Wanting to purchase as an alternative to my F350 as a daily driver as well as something I can tinker on! So what better than an XJ!? I've been searching my local craiglist for a while now and came across this. Seems to be a good deal.. What should I look out for when I go check it out.. I'm in northern California.. Thanks any help would be appreciated!!

-1990 Jeep Cherokee $2500 OBO
-4 wheel drive
-4.0L straight six engine with automatic transmission
-all maintenence up to date including complete tune-up, transmission service,
engine oil and transfer case fluidd change.
-4 inch lift with BF goodrich All Terrain Radial tires
-clean title with recent smog inspection
-cargo rack on top
-off-roading lights on rack (covers included)
-CB radio and antennae
-190,000 miles, but only 50,000 on current engine
-great mud and snow vehicel. has been getting me up the mountain for work through the whole winter for
about 3 years now. I love this jeep but cant afford it right now and need the money from selling it.
Take it for a test drive, since it has a 4 inch lift, it could have death wobbble. In case you don't know what that is, its a driveline vibration or anykind of vibration when driving on the highway. Also find out why he replaced the engine, that don't sound right.
Best of Luck!
Old 11-19-2011, 09:37 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO Straight Six

XJs are leak monsters. Check for leaks at the valve cover and the rear main seal (located between the engine and transmission so crouch down and look under there for wetness from oil.) Also look for leaks around the oil pan and oil filter

Also, ask if they've ever had problems with "death wobble". Do a search on this for what it is because it is common in XJs. And can be a pain to diagnose and fix.

Ask if they've regeared their axles to accommodate for bigger tires. If not, you're going to be getting 10 or 11 miles to the gallon like me.

Ask if maintenance on the cooling system has been done. These things are known to have around mediocre cooling systems and need to be up kept up well.

Check to see if the reverse lights work (ask him/her to get in and back up while you stand in back and watch). If they don't, this could be a sign that your Neutral Safety Switch is going bad. And that is a $100 part to replace.

Lastly, just make sure to check everything else, like if there's rust, dents, etc underneath. It's lifted so chances are it has been offroaded and abused no matter what they try and tell you. Also check things like a/c, heat, window wipers, etc etc.

But good luck! It is definitely a wise choice and you won't be disappointed!
Old 11-19-2011, 09:47 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 I6

I agree with all of the above advice but I don't think anyone mentioned rust... I got my XJ in Vermont (land of salt and more salt) and it's got rotten floors and swiss cheese rockers. Checking underneath covers a lot of that, but in particular my holes are under the driver and passenger side feet and the front inside of the rear wheelwells, which caused the rockers to rot out on the bottom. I think people have problems/holes in the area over the cat/muffler too, but mine's ok there.

I wanted to learn to weld anyway, so I'm not as upset as I would be if I had to pay a bodyshop...

With a new engine and older transmission that has just had a "service" I'd pay close attention to how it shifts as well!
Old 11-19-2011, 09:49 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

Thanks for the help guys!

Originally Posted by 1996sportXJ
Ask if they've regeared their axles to accommodate for bigger tires. If not, you're going to be getting 10 or 11 miles to the gallon like me.
Damn only 10-11 miles a gallon!? I can't do that.... !
Old 11-19-2011, 09:57 AM
CF Veteran

Haha I feel you. Mine's got issues though. So don't really pay attention to that number. Normal is between like 18 and 24. That's what I hear a lot of people are getting. So make sure to ask!
Old 11-19-2011, 10:05 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 90' 93'
Engine: 4.0

x2 Death wobble
Old 11-19-2011, 10:10 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 I6

I get 16-18 around town, 18-22 highway and 12 or so in 4wd on snowy roads around town. I've got 32" tires and factory stock gears. pretty sure they're 3.73. 196K miles on the engine too! If it feels sluggish it needs geared - i can feel mine lagging/straining in certain rpms.

also, if you check 4wd hi and lo, make sure to do it on gravel or snow - there's a lot of binding if you engage 4wd on pavement!

Last edited by Potatowalker; 11-19-2011 at 10:13 AM.
Old 11-19-2011, 10:12 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 90' 93'

8-10 for me.
Old 11-19-2011, 10:47 AM
CF Veteran

Okay well let's not turn this into an MPG discussion. But yeah check out the 4wd. If you can't find some loose gravel or snow, at least just try and shift it in and out of 4wd without moving to see if it shift nicely.
Old 11-19-2011, 11:13 AM

Year: 2001

That price is high. I just paid $2600 for an 01. I know it's region based but I also bought a 96 for 1300 lifted 3" with brand new tires....
Old 11-19-2011, 12:48 PM
CF Veteran

Just use all the above suggestions of what to look for. Start the price at 2500 and everything you find wrong with it, chip away at the price. Cause yeah, that price is high with how many miles are on it. And definitely ask about why the engine was replaced cause that is a pretty big red flag right there
Old 11-19-2011, 02:07 PM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0 Liter

It seems clean Cherokees are going up in value. Finding a clean, no rust example is getting harder and harder. People are drawn to XJs because of their robust drivetrains and effective 4x4 systems.

Flash
Old 11-19-2011, 05:03 PM
CF Veteran

price is kinda high there. if u want a nice daily driver, cherokee is a good choice, but a stock cherokee. lifted xj will get bad mpg already and not drive as nice. btw death wobble is not a driveline vibration. it's a steering problem where your wheels shake in and out, uncontrollably, causing the whole front end to shake. it may be diffucult to diagnose and fix. it becomes common on lifted jeeps, because the lift changes steering angles, or magnifies worn steering parts.
Old 11-19-2011, 05:07 PM
CF Veteran

also, on checking a used cherokee..

steering component play
leaks - rear main seal (oil leak between engine and tranny is very common)
electrical - window regulators, rear wiper
rust
motor mounts can break studs into blocks (passenger side more common)
cracks in unibody and uneven body lines

Quick Reply: Buying an XJ What to look for