Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Buying A Cherokee and have a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 01:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Buying A Cherokee and have a few questions

Hi guys,

This is my first time on this website and I have a few questions I'd like some input on. First of all, I'm buying a 2000 Jeep Cherokee with about 76k miles in about 2 weeks and have a few ideas on what I want to do it to. I don't want to say everything because I will post pics on here when I'm done. I'm planning on lifting the jeep about 3in and putting on 31 or 32 inch tires with 20 inch rims, Don't worry, I'm not going to completly ghetto this thing out, I promise it will look great. Now I understand Putting those rims on will make it a pretty rough ride. Does everyone think it will be pretty rough? Any pointers on what I can buy to help make it a little smoother, I still want some nice tires so any recomendations? Also I don't really plan on off-roading much if any at all, this will just be a daily driver for me. I want to hear all input.

Thanks in advance
Old 03-24-2010, 03:05 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996 Limited
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2

The more meat on the tire the smoother the ride. So with 20's your not ganna have much tire. I would try and stay away from 20's but Its your rig. I would go with a hydrolic shock over a gas shock that will make it a little smoother.
Old 03-25-2010, 05:16 PM

Ok, so I was taking a look at a few different things and I really need some help, I know the 20s will be a rough ride and I'm sure everyone is going to hate the idea but I'm set on them and would still like your help. So I've been thinking about getting this 3 inch lift form RC http://roughcountry.com/jeep_xj_3x.html and was thinking about getting 31 inch tires, now my problem is, what do I all need?! I don't get the measurements for the tires, so with 20 inch rims can someone tell me what I need to look for in tires, any pointers with this lift that will have the drive? If there is anything I forgot please let me know.
Old 03-25-2010, 05:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L HO

There are tire calculators out there online to find your correct tire size. I would hold off on buying the tires until you get your lift on just because things can change. Make sure the backspacing for your wheels will work with the XJ at full turn, and watch for too wide a rim so that you dont have that issue and rubbing on the fender flares. Longer brake lines may be necessary, but if your only on the street you should be fine. Thats all I can think of right now, but I'm sure I'm forgetting things. Best of luck.

As for a smoother ride, you can get new shocks with better street valving, you can get lighter spring rates for the suspension which will cost way more then you want, or you have to put more meet on the tires sidewall ie. go up a size or two. Your just going to compound the already crappy ride XJ's have so just remember that.
Old 03-25-2010, 05:33 PM

So how wide of rims should I be looking for? Do you know of a good calculator? what tire size would you recommend with the 3 in lift?
Old 03-25-2010, 05:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L HO

Custom is just that. Just depends on what the manufacturer sells in sizes. Do the math yourself with a tape measure. I have had success with all my choices if I sit down and make sure things will work. I use this calculator all the time. http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html Tire size is up to you and then again its up to the manufacturer in what you can get per size.
Old 03-25-2010, 05:50 PM

Ok, well I probably sound like a noob but how do you measure the sizes? Like I understand the 31 inch, but when I see 245/75/R15 what is that?