Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Burning smell and central locking issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 04:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 94
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Burning smell and central locking issues

Apologies in advance as it is a bit of a novel.

I went to leave work and smelt a strong electrical burning smell after opening the passengers side door.
I proceeded to attempt to unlock the doors from the passenger side as my drivers door lock is damaged from an attempted break in (note I am in NZ so XJ is RHD) and I heard a faint clicking noise but not the normal unlocking noise (as it didn't unlock anything).

I ended up disconnecting the negative of the battery to start doing a sniff test to try to find where the smell was stronger but no luck.
After pulling apart the dash and the passengers window/door lock switch I decided to try the door lock switch on the drivers side after putting the negative terminal back on.

This is the odd part it started to work for about 3 unlock and lock cycles then went back to the clicking under the dash on the drivers side (RHD), I presume there is relays or something there. Raining, dark after work and 20:00 at this point in time.

Whilst unlocking and locking the warning lights lit up momentarily when flicking the switch (handbrake, check engine etc). If I hold the switch on unlock they stay on.
When I start the jeep, the central locking still doesn't work but these lights don't momentarily show up when I flick the switch.

I decided to run the gauntlet back home and have disconnected the battery to be safe. When not using the jeep.

Any thoughts on this? Any help will be much appreciated.
Old 06-06-2017, 09:33 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 6 cylinder

Smelling electrical burning is usually a sign of a short circuit somewhere.
Corroded or spread connector pins can sometimes cause this too as the heat generated from a faulty connector pin will tend to melt the connector plastic.

There's a chance you should be able to visually see any melted wire insulation, burnt connectors etc. since the short was strong enough to cause a smell.
Its also possible the lock motor/solenoid is shot causing a short circuit condition.
Or a mechanical bind somewhere causing the motor/solenoid to stall and draw a larger than normal amount of amperage.

Before pulling out the heavy artillery like schematics and mult-meters, I'd start by removing the door panel where the smell came from.
Pull aside the rubber boot at the door jam at the A pillar then inspect all the wires there for broken wires, melted wire insulation, etc..
Then carefully eyeball all the other wires in the door innards.
Also disconnect all connectors and inspect them for corroded, bent, spread pins or any signs of connector melting.
Good Luck.
Old 06-10-2017, 01:46 AM

Exclamation

Well, i pulled the jeep apart as the smell seemed to linger in places then when I got close to where it seemed to be it did not get worse. I could not initially pinpoint it and the IR remote was out of the picture many years ago. No wonder it lingered as the smell is trapped in the headliner. It burnt the roof a little on the inside and there are heat marks also.
All I can say is thank you Jeep for the saggy headliner and not putting much around the key less entry. It could have been so much worse.

If you have not checked your one I'd recommend it.
Attached Thumbnails Burning smell and central locking issues-img-20170610-wa0000.jpeg  
Old 06-10-2017, 01:53 AM
Banned

Year: 2000 and 1998

Yikes!!!,,,smoke i guess!!
Old 06-10-2017, 02:49 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992

I unplugged mine and threw it in my shed when I did my headliner. I don't have a remote anyway, so I figured why not cover the hole
Old 06-10-2017, 09:15 AM

Year: 2000
Engine: 6 cylinder

Holy Smokes!
So much for fuses!

Smell and locks don't work... logically the problem has to be somewhere in the doors.
NOT this time!

With all that heat, did it also melt the plastic dome light housing?
That would of been the big clue.

I haven't used my remote entry for years.
Like Guywitha92, think i'm gonna disconnect that circuit board too.

If one thinks about it, that circuit board has to have power to it 24/7 always waiting for the lock/unlock signal from the remote fob.
Old 06-11-2017, 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by moparado
Holy Smokes!
So much for fuses!

Smell and locks don't work... logically the problem has to be somewhere in the doors.
NOT this time!

With all that heat, did it also melt the plastic dome light housing?
That would of been the big clue.

I haven't used my remote entry for years.
Like Guywitha92, think i'm gonna disconnect that circuit board too.

If one thinks about it, that circuit board has to have power to it 24/7 always waiting for the lock/unlock signal from the remote fob.
Yeah I check the doors, door jams every where.
Not noticeable at all on the other side that is what is scary.

Headliner gone, reminder still on roof.
Locks work again after getting rid of the bad part of the wiring.
Attached Thumbnails Burning smell and central locking issues-20170611_102331.jpg