Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

bumper mount bakset or roof basket?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 05:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default bumper mount bakset or roof basket?

I just got a '99 sport with the 4.0L. I want to either put a roof rack on it or a bumper mount basket. The added storage would be used mostly for hunting (deer and elk) and camping. Any response is appreciated, and thank you in advance!
Old 01-15-2010, 05:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 288 Likes on 238 Posts
Year: 1987 MJ, 1998 XJ, 1973 J2000, 89 waggy
Model: Comanche (MJ)
Engine: 4.0L H.O

I like the look of a nice sturdy roof-rack on top on a lifted jeep just my opinion... I got a good deal on mine and have loved it since
Old 01-16-2010, 05:00 PM

Engine: 4.0L

How much weight can you carry up there? The owners manual says the factory rack system can only take up to 150 lbs, and Thule and Yakima's racks only recommend 150 lbs as well. But with a bumper mounted rack I've read reports of guys having 350 + lbs on there. I agree that the roof rack looks better, maybe just might have to go with both...
Old 01-16-2010, 07:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000
Engine: 4.0

i'd say go with both, the extra space is great.
but don't attach the roof basket to the stock rails. use gutter mounts. the more the merrier.
mine has 4 gutter mounts, but i've put over 300lbs and stood on it at the same time. i've wheeled with over 300lbs up there with no problems, other than being top heavy on off camber stuff.
Old 01-16-2010, 10:28 PM

Year: 1989
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by caged
i'd say go with both, the extra space is great.
but don't attach the roof basket to the stock rails. use gutter mounts. the more the merrier.
mine has 4 gutter mounts, but i've put over 300lbs and stood on it at the same time. i've wheeled with over 300lbs up there with no problems, other than being top heavy on off camber stuff.
exactly what he said

and speaking from experience DO NOT use factory rails to mount they will pull out, and then its a whole lotta fun from there....however mine will tear the roof off now before moving but the gutter mounts will save you alot of time and set you a few inches lower.

with that said it sucks for hunting use aside from storing my 32"spare,cooler,axe,shovel and chainsaw. i lifted one 2point mulie up there and said **** that and build a hitch rack like cargo racks you can buy but mine wont bend or break and has taken the force of my jeep sliding into a YJ sized boulder at the bottom of an icy hill one hunting season that barely scratched it and its perfect height to throw animals on, ive had 3 mulies stacked on there and coulda fit more if i tried.

best to just go with both as they always come in handy for one thing or another
Old 01-16-2010, 10:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 inline 6

Yeah, definately both. Rack is great to pu a full size spair and other stuff and the basket is great for coolers and stuff like that.
Old 01-16-2010, 11:10 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996

Hey man, I'm in Sheridan, WY. Don't suppose you're nearby?
MY opinion is for the bumper mount. Sure you lessen clearance and angles for tight mountain roads, but seriously, how do you feel about tossing a Bull Elk on your roof? Even if you Cheyenne dress it, you've still got a bunch of meat. Now I may consider a roof rack if you're keeping the 7x antlers as they'd likely be safer up there. That being said, You'd want to figure out how to avoid contaminating your meet with exhaust.

I believe another poster addressed the weight issue too. My research has found bumper mounted racks that can hold at least 500lbs on a class 3 hitch. Although I'm willing to be corrected, I don't think you'll get a roof rack to hold that much...not for the price. Even if you did, I wouldn't want to put the 500lbs on the roof or take it off.

PLus, Cabelas is having a sale on their bumber mounted racks: http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...exId=cat604369

Product Description:
The Magnum HITCH-HAUL® is the answer when you need just a bit more room on your hitch-mounted cargo rack to haul more items or free up space inside the vehicle. The Magnum HITCH-HAUL® is 24" x 60" with heavy-gauge side rails that are 3" high and 1" wide. It's made of powder-coated steel, slides conveniently into your 2" hitch receiver and will hold up to 500 lbs. of cargo.

s