Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Bump steer

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 08:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 98
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Bump steer

I feel like I have done my steering right. I tried to get all the best parts to have no steering issues. I have talked to BDS, Rustys, and Rough country and they all told me that I am doing my steering right and should not have any problems. I have less than 1000 miles on it and I have already replaced the trac bar bushings and have quite abit of bump steer. I did not howerver get an allinment yet and I have no sway bar on the front. When I am driving down the road it does not have any play in the steering but when I hit a bump it either shoots to the right or left. I think all my angles are correct on the trac bar and steering arm. Would an alinment fix this you think? Or would a sway bar help out alot? It never had a sway bar so that is why I don't have one. Here are a couple pics of the front.

Old 12-02-2009, 09:18 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 87

Your steering angles look real close, cant really tell since wheels are slightly turned. If the angles are right.. not having a sway bar hooked up, could definately cause what you describe.

Since your rig is modded, easiest way to do an alignment is on your own. The way I do it is with some stock rims and a tape measure. Mount empty rims and mearue front of rim, and then measure back side. Set front side to be roughly 3/16 to a 1/4 inch less then the back. Also make sure your caster is close to 7* as possible.
Old 12-02-2009, 09:40 AM

Year: 98' and 99'

re-connect sway bars and get aligment,, you went this far,, and if that doesnt fix it, well yuo eliminated two options
Old 12-02-2009, 10:20 AM
aka Wade-O

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1989 Comanche

align it. thats most likely the problem. my angles are worse then yours and i have minimal bumpsteer. the swaybar being connected or disconnected makes no difference.