Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Building brake lines

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 06:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Building brake lines

I have access at work to all kinds of stainless brake line and fittings but what I need to find out is the fitting sizes.

What size fitting is coming out (or going into) of the front caliper? What size of fitting is on the hard line?

Has anyone ever done this? I would imagine someone has and it will be WAY cheaper for me this way but can't find the information I need. Any help is appreciated.
Old 09-04-2010, 12:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 liter

When I want brake line/parts I go to the auto parts store. They can usually tell me/show me what size fittings are required.

I actually enjoy doing/redoing the brake lines. I get a kick out of sititng down with one of the little tubing benders and flaring kits and making a straight piece of line turn, bend and twist to the right places on both ends.

I've never used stainless steel though. The last one we did was my son's 91 RS Camaro. We painted the rear axle and suspension parts gloss black and painted all the brake lines a bright red color. Not that you spend a lot of time up under the car but it jumps out at you when you do end up under there working on something.

Only issue I ever had was on my 90 F150 4WD. One of the fittings (left rear wheel to the block on the rear axle) was a different size than all the others and no one had it. According to the various car parts places in the area it was Ford dealership part only. I used the old one (drilled it out and flared the new tubing to make it work.