Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Budget Lift Info Needed, Expert Advice Wanted

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 12:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Budget Lift Info Needed, Expert Advice Wanted

I just bought four new 235/75/15 tires for my 88 and I was thinking of lifting the jeep 1-2" to eliminate the occasional rubbing issue.

My plan was to install some Grand Cherokee V8 front coils along with some rusty's add-a-leafs in the back. Im only looking for 1-2" because I recently bought all new brake lines, a new track bar, and all new OE type shocks. I dont do any wheeling per-say, but I do like to go hunting, camping, and snow trips; 1-2" is all I need.

My questions are the following:

Do I need to buy the brake line extensions for 1-2" of lift?
What about some shock extenders?
Anything else Im forgetting?

Another side question:
With the add-a-leafs and a trailer brake, do you think Ill be able to tow a small car with my jeep? Its a 4.0, 5speed, and the car Im thinking of towing is an 89 Mustang 5.0, to and from the track. (maybe 4-5k pounds with trailer?)
Old 12-24-2010, 06:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6

You shouldn't need brake line extensions or new shocks.
Old 12-24-2010, 08:18 PM

Anyone else?
Old 12-24-2010, 08:25 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Imo, I would use a shackle,
As for the shocks or brake lines, they arent necessary but if you have the dough get bigger shocks, brake lines for 4+
Old 12-24-2010, 08:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: '99
Engine: 4.o

I would never use add a leafs. Seen to many of them sag within 3-6 months. Some people might argue but I have used 1.5" blocks and they worked fine. Blocks do not worry me until they get over 2". Then the U bolts get to long and unsafe. If you have the $ shacks are your best bet. I have had 2 XJ's at that height and didn't need longer brake lines or bigger shocks. But they might give you a little more flex. I would hold off on both of these though cause once you start lifting its hard to stop and it is pointless to buy new shocks every year. Towing will not be an issue. Toss your rear sway bar and if you want later on get some sway bar dissconects for the front but that's only if you need more flex you are ok with stock ones at that height.
Old 12-24-2010, 09:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1989 Laredo
Engine: 4.0 L 6 Renix
Default Light Lift

I do use 2.5" blocks in the rear, yes there is some spring wrap, the V8 ZJ front spring will give you about 2", about $120 cdn at Napa, in future a couple budget front spacers is an easy step up (would then need longer control arms) as for the brake lines, at 2" you can drill down lower a hole and move the coupler screw mount at the hard to flex line downward and pick up some easy reach, this will suit you up to about 3.5" lift for future. Rear flex line at stock is good for your 2" perhaps up to about 3.5", skyjacker has a nice braided lines extended set option for longer lines.
At 2" your shocks are OK, google a site "Go Jeep . com" for a really good XJ write up from Aussie, will give you real good options, many you can make and do yourself. Merry Christmas, good luck.
Old 12-24-2010, 09:56 PM

Model: Grand Cherokee

"Expert advice wanted" you say? You've come to the right place, because we're all experts around here. I lifted my 1st XJ with V8 ZJ coils and got 1.5" (plus a 2" spacer), and for the rear I highly recommend adding the top leaf from a stock XJ pack. I added the top 2 and gained a solid 3", so I think one leaf would give you the 1.5-2" you're looking for. Because it comes from a stock XJ pack, the spring rate is the same and your ride will not suffer. In addition, your payload capacity will increase.
Old 12-25-2010, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by 4Doors
"Expert advice wanted" you say? You've come to the right place, because we're all experts around here. I lifted my 1st XJ with V8 ZJ coils and got 1.5" (plus a 2" spacer), and for the rear I highly recommend adding the top leaf from a stock XJ pack. I added the top 2 and gained a solid 3", so I think one leaf would give you the 1.5-2" you're looking for. Because it comes from a stock XJ pack, the spring rate is the same and your ride will not suffer. In addition, your payload capacity will increase.
So I would just cut the eyes off the ends and clamp them back together?

Just curious, but where do I get the leaf spring clamps and center bolts? Local auto parts store? Any recommendations around sacramento, ca?
Old 12-26-2010, 12:28 PM

Bump
Old 12-26-2010, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by kbernal1016
So I would just cut the eyes off the ends and clamp them back together?

Just curious, but where do I get the leaf spring clamps and center bolts? Local auto parts store? Any recommendations around sacramento, ca?
Yes, just hold the pack together with a couple good c-clamps and cut the retaining clamps and center bolt with a grinder. An old rope wrapped around the springs is also cheap insurance to make sure they don't pop out on you incase your c-clamps break, which I've seen happen. Slowly and safely release the springs and then cut the eyes off the main leafas far out as you can.

After writing what I did, I remembered that my stock leaves still had some arch to them, as did my donor pack. Yours being an 88, you probably want to consider using the top 2 leaves rather than just one. I used 2 and gained 3", so yours might be more like 2".

For the front, if you can't source some v8 ZJ springs for cheap, you could simply use a poly spacer. It'll likely be cheaper than the springs anyway and also keep a softer ride, although my v8 springs still rode quite well. (yes, I'm kind of particular about not having a jarring ride).

For your new center pins/clamps/longer u-bolts - I ordered all of that from Rusty's Offroad. I recommend calling them and explaining what you're doing so that they can be sure to give you extended u-bolts. I called and the guy was great on the phone, totally understood what I was trying to do, and gave me what I needed without trying to talk me into one of their lifts.

Dang it, all this XJ talk is fueling my fire to sell my WJ and get back to where I belong... in an XJ!
Old 12-26-2010, 01:08 PM

Year: 1998

Originally Posted by brutalxj
I would never use add a leafs. Seen to many of them sag within 3-6 months. Some people might argue but I have used 1.5" blocks and they worked fine. Blocks do not worry me until they get over 2". Then the U bolts get to long and unsafe. If you have the $ shacks are your best bet. I have had 2 XJ's at that height and didn't need longer brake lines or bigger shocks. But they might give you a little more flex. I would hold off on both of these though cause once you start lifting its hard to stop and it is pointless to buy new shocks every year. Towing will not be an issue. Toss your rear sway bar and if you want later on get some sway bar dissconects for the front but that's only if you need more flex you are ok with stock ones at that height.
This might sound stupid lol but what does tossing your rear swaybar help?
Old 12-26-2010, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by extremexj31
This might sound stupid lol but what does tossing your rear swaybar help?
Helps with flexing the suspension. If you beef up the pack by adding leaves or getting lift springs, a rear sway really isn't necessary even on-road. Always keep the front on road though.
Old 12-26-2010, 01:49 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1994
Engine: 98 4.0 swap

Helps with flexing the suspension. If you beef up the pack by adding leaves or getting lift springs, a rear sway really isn't necessary even on-road. Always keep the front on road though.
Front isn't really necessary for the towing either. Me and my friend tow with our 94 and 95 his is auto mines stick. no probs at 65 towin other cherokee's. we just use gas charge shocks a lot of the time.
Old 12-26-2010, 01:52 PM

Year: 1998

Thank you for helping.
Old 12-26-2010, 05:55 PM

Check thepartsbin.com the have 3 inch lift for cheap

Quick Reply: Budget Lift Info Needed, Expert Advice Wanted