Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Brown coolant

Old 01-13-2015, 12:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Brown coolant

I have a 99 cherokee classic 4.0 It's automatic and has 4WD.

In the past year I changed the radiator and the heater core and did a coolant flush.
Last time I took the jeep in to have an oil change they informed me that my coolant was very low and they filled it up. I thought that was strange but didn't think much of it. The past few days the heat has been acting up and I could faintly smell coolant after shutting down my jeep and getting out. today I smelled a faint coolant smell inside the jeep and my gauge was slightly hotter than normal so I went and bought antifreeze and it took half a gallon. When I filled it I noticed the coolant was brown this is what it looked like when I changed the radiator and heater core (the shop asked me if I had put stop leak in it and I told them I recently purchased it and maybe the last guy did ) anyway I did the work myself and I far it a very good flush so I don't imagine this is stop leak that was left over although that is possible. What I don't understand is how the coolant level keeps dropping as well as the brown color. I don't see any coolant on the snow when I move my jeep or when it has been sitting. Any ideas?
Old 01-13-2015, 12:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 HO I6

When was the last time you changed your oil, and what did that look like? That is a pretty significant coolant loss. It has to be going somewhere, and one possibility is your head gasket is leaking and that brown is from oil seeping through, while your coolant deposits in your crankcase.
Old 01-13-2015, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by gpXJ
When was the last time you changed your oil, and what did that look like? That is a pretty significant coolant loss. It has to be going somewhere, and one possibility is your head gasket is leaking and that brown is from oil seeping through, while your coolant deposits in your crankcase.
I take it in to have the oil changed It has been awhile I last took it in oct 30. The shop didn't say anything about oil looking funny so I'm not sure. Is there a way to test it? Or should I just take it in
Old 01-13-2015, 12:37 PM
CF Veteran

They just open up the drain valve and let it fall into their big tank probably, while they work on something else. If it's like the typical oil change place, they wouldn't have seen what comes out most likely.

If it were my Jeep I would drain the oil in the driveway so I could see it, and even post pics if you weren't sure. Or if you don't feel comfortable with that, could run it until warm, pull the oil cap and see if you can see anything that looks other than black (coolant/oil mixture will be a chocolate brown usually, looks kind of like a milkshake).

That much coolant loss though you need to catch it asap if it's making it's way into the oil. Coolant and oil mix don't lubricate sufficiently and you will burn up your bearings in a hurry, leading to having to replace the engine.
Old 01-13-2015, 01:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000

google image "rust in coolant" and see if it resembles the pics.
Old 01-13-2015, 02:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

1/2 a gallon Oct. could be the slow leak you are smelling. Does seem like allot though. Did you look at your dipstick, see if it looks milky, likewise anything odd under the filler cap? Even a pinhole leak in the heater core will fog the windshield and smell...
Old 01-13-2015, 02:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1991
Engine: 1999 4.0L

Autozone has a loaner block tester that lets you test for exhaust gasses in the coolant. You have to buy the test fluid.
Old 01-13-2015, 02:57 PM

Ok I have more to add. A few weeks ago when I had the jeep in the garage over night I noticed a couple of drops of what I thought was oil underneath it. Now that I know my coolant is brown it could have been coolant. I looked under and could see the wet spots but couldn't pin point a leak.

I just took some pictures of the coolant the dipstick and the oil. For some reason I can't attach them all so I'll pot them in different comments I guess.
Attached Thumbnails Brown coolant-image-4164042473.jpg  
Old 01-13-2015, 02:58 PM

Not the best pic but doesn't look milky
Attached Thumbnails Brown coolant-image-1725019812.jpg  
Old 01-13-2015, 02:58 PM

Dip stick
Attached Thumbnails Brown coolant-image-2845011036.jpg  
Old 01-13-2015, 03:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000

oil looks good. if there was coolant in there, it would be frothy and discoloured.

i still think you have a rust issue.
Old 01-13-2015, 03:09 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by caged
oil looks good. if there was coolant in there, it would be frothy and discoloured.

i still think you have a rust issue.
I agree. Oil looks good, coolant looks terrible.
Old 01-13-2015, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by caged
oil looks good. if there was coolant in there, it would be frothy and discoloured. i still think you have a rust issue.
If it's a rust issue how could that be ?
It's looks a lot like the rust pictures on Google.
Old 01-13-2015, 03:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

Yer not suppose to puke in the radiator, that's what windows are for! Sheez, was me I'd be repeatedly draining and flushing running, (repeat), with water till it was clear. I'm not in AK in January though! Sounds like the heater core leaked, and someone put Bars-leak in it. I'll put a 1/2 of a little tube of Aluma-seal in there for a pinhole in the heater core....never that gunk though. Idk, looks like maybe more than just rust to me.
Old 01-13-2015, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by DFlintstone
Yer not suppose to puke in the radiator, that's what windows are for! Sheez, was me I'd be repeatedly draining and flushing running, (repeat), with water till it was clear. I'm not in AK in January though! Sounds like the heater core leaked, and someone put Bars-leak in it. I'll put a 1/2 of a little tube of Aluma-seal in there for a pinhole in the heater core....never that gunk though. Idk, looks like maybe more than just rust to me.
Yeah when I can get it inside I plan on giving it a good flush. I just want to make sure it's not something big because I'm driving this jeep through Canada in about 49 days.....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brown coolant