Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

broken motor mount = broken alternator

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 09:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L striaght 6
Default broken motor mount = broken alternator

96' Cherokee sport 4wd 6cyl 4.0 250,000 miles everything under the hood is stock.

So I am leaving for a hunting trip, and wanted to do a check up on the jeep so I could make the journey. While under the hood we noticed that the motor mounts looked worn out. We put it in gear held the brake and rev'd a little. Turns out when its in reverse the passenger side motor mount is completely broken and the engine lifts up. the driver side is worn but still functioning. So in our test of looking where the mount was broken we had to torque the motor a couple times to get it to raise up, not extreme just enough to see the movement. Got the problem figured out and made a plan to fix it. On my way home I noticed the battery gauge was a slowly dropping. I got home and checked for loose or broken wires, possibly from the engine lifting and pulling them loose. I did not see anything. This morning the battery was almost dead, dim lights no power locks etc. I was able to make it to work without lights, but as I pulled in the gauge showed completely dead. So the alt is either not charging the battery or there is a problem with the battery. I just think it is to much of a coincidence there would be an electrical problem, right after we found the broken motor mount.

so my question is, what do I do? I have a solar battery tender on it now while at work, so the battery is charging. I will be able to make it to an auto parts store to check the alt and battery, but I personally don't think it is the problem. What do you recommend I check first?

Any help is appreciated, I leave for an elk hunting trip... as soon as my jeep is drivable.
Old 09-05-2014, 01:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by PancakePlatoon
96' Cherokee sport 4wd 6cyl 4.0 250,000 miles everything under the hood is stock.

So I am leaving for a hunting trip, and wanted to do a check up on the jeep so I could make the journey. While under the hood we noticed that the motor mounts looked worn out. We put it in gear held the brake and rev'd a little. Turns out when its in reverse the passenger side motor mount is completely broken and the engine lifts up. the driver side is worn but still functioning. So in our test of looking where the mount was broken we had to torque the motor a couple times to get it to raise up, not extreme just enough to see the movement. Got the problem figured out and made a plan to fix it. On my way home I noticed the battery gauge was a slowly dropping. I got home and checked for loose or broken wires, possibly from the engine lifting and pulling them loose. I did not see anything. This morning the battery was almost dead, dim lights no power locks etc. I was able to make it to work without lights, but as I pulled in the gauge showed completely dead. So the alt is either not charging the battery or there is a problem with the battery. I just think it is to much of a coincidence there would be an electrical problem, right after we found the broken motor mount.

so my question is, what do I do? I have a solar battery tender on it now while at work, so the battery is charging. I will be able to make it to an auto parts store to check the alt and battery, but I personally don't think it is the problem. What do you recommend I check first?

Any help is appreciated, I leave for an elk hunting trip... as soon as my jeep is drivable.
Double check (or triple check in your case?) that the alternator plugs are connected. If they are, check the wiring closely. Symptoms sound like what happened to me when I forgot to plug back up one of the two connectors on the back of the alternator after installing the new alt.
Old 09-06-2014, 05:19 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Yes go to an AutoZone and have them check the electrical system they can do it all from battery to alt. Then you will know exactly what it is and repair it. The mounts affecting this....possible but not likely IMHO.

As far as the motor mounts I would replace them along with the transmissions at the same time, you wait on those and it "WILL" end up costing you a lot more money. Like for a radiator, fan, etc. plus your stranded wherever you may be.