Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Broke Metal Brake line

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 09:11 AM
Old School CF Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Broke Metal Brake line

When I was putting in my D44 yesterday I broke a steel brake line...the one that comes down the unibody and into the bracket where it goes into a flex line...which then runs down to the rear axle and splits to hard lines. I broke it right before the bracket. I called the local brake shop and they said the line is super cheap..but labor would be like 300 bucks..which is ridiculous. Is there a quick reliable fix for this, or is replacing the line very hard? Let me know what you guys think...need this thing on the road as soon as it can be! thanks!
Old 07-05-2012, 09:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L HO

IMPO it's a matter of your confidence in your ability. If you feel confident in your ability to replace a break line and properly bleed the system than I would say go for it. You can get a simple break bleeding kit at most auto stores. If you decide to do it your self I would get a pre shaped line with the bubble flares already made. Like I said, if you are confident you can do it and you have the knowledge than go for it otherwise let a pro handle it. $300 seems to me a bit unreasonable for them to replace just one length of break line....
Old 07-05-2012, 09:25 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1991

Buy your self (or rent) A tube cutter, tube bender, and the flair tool. And purchase some tubing. It is easy to do. And you can use the old tubing as a template. Just a little time consuming. I believe brake lines are double flared.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:45 AM
Old School CF Moderator

Damn, I was hoping someone would say I could just add to the one I cut. Im guessing that line runs to the master cylinder. How would I do the end that screws into the flex line?
Old 07-05-2012, 10:31 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport

Originally Posted by Xj88
How would I do the end that screws into the flex line?
This where the flaring tool is used. Just pull the old one off from fitting to fitting and replace all of it. You got lucky that it broke when you were working on it and not driving. Take the old one to the parts store and they can set you up with everything you will need. It's not a real hard job. Just time consuming.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:38 AM
Old School CF Moderator

Originally Posted by RTorrez1
This where the flaring tool is used. Just pull the old one off from fitting to fitting and replace all of it. You got lucky that it broke when you were working on it and not driving. Take the old one to the parts store and they can set you up with everything you will need. It's not a real hard job. Just time consuming.
Take the entire brake line? Is there a way to replace it with a line that doesnt have to be bent? Im just trying to conclude my options. Easier the better.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:48 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Xj88
Take the entire brake line? Is there a way to replace it with a line that doesnt have to be bent? Im just trying to conclude my options. Easier the better.
Unfortunately, No. You will need to make the bends. You can also pick up a tube bender at any parts store. When you get the new tubing Just lay it out next to the old one and fallow the old bends. It really isn't that hard. Believe me. I had to replace all of mine (front and rear). I went to head out and I had no brakes looked under the Jeep and found a leaking line. When pulling the bad section the rest of it started falling apart too.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:51 AM
Old School CF Moderator

Originally Posted by RTorrez1
Unfortunately, No. You will need to make the bends. You can also pick up a tube bender at any parts store. When you get the new tubing Just lay it out next to the old one and fallow the old bends. It really isn't that hard. Believe me. I had to replace all of mine (front and rear). I went to head out and I had no brakes looked under the Jeep and found a leaking line. When pulling the bad section the rest of it started falling apart too.
Estimated cost and time? Where does the other end of the line go, master cylinder?? Im still not seeing how the flare wrench will get the threaded piece on the new line. My Dana 44 has the flex line coming off of it (has a female end) where it would thread into a male hard line.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:53 AM

It would be best to replace the entire line rather than trying to splice into it...the line is old and prone to another failure. Replaced mine a couple of years ago with a custom bent line from Inline Tube and even so, it still took a bit of manipulation to get it installed but the peace of mind is worth the hassle.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:57 AM
CF Veteran

It took me 4 or 5 hours to do my entire brake line system. I think the tubing cost around $20-$30 and maybe another 25 for the tools.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:08 AM

The rear flex hose has a female fitting that the flare nut on the hard line screws into...there is a clip that holds the female fitting to a bracket. The front of the hard line goes to the bottom of the proportioning valve on mine.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L

I'd call around to other brake shops. I had a local brake shop replace the rear lines for 30 bucks in parts and 80 bucks labor.

I don't think its a difficult job, but I didn't have any of the right tools...
Old 07-05-2012, 11:17 AM
Old School CF Moderator

Ill call around but if its cheap ill do it myself
Old 07-05-2012, 12:59 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2 v8

It's cheap to make the lines yourself as stated, or I know I've heard of people tracking down a pre bent line from a jeep dealership and doing the work themselves.

The hardest part of doing lines is the double flair, so if you go that route just watch some YouTube videos on it and practice before hand (it's really not too hard to do).
Old 07-05-2012, 01:10 PM
Old School CF Moderator

is the double flair where you attach the ends (threaded ends male/female) to the tubing?

Quick Reply: Broke Metal Brake line