Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Broke the bolts on my rear shocks! Help please asap!

Old 05-31-2017, 05:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Unhappy Broke the bolts on my rear shocks! Help please asap!

Tl;dr: I really need help. I was taking the rear shocks off, and broke the bolts that fasten the shocks to the frame, i was going to drill it out and tap it, but the bolt didn't break very high up and i cant get a drill on it, from the bottom atleast. The bigger picture, I recently bought a beautiful white yr 2000 XJ, it's 2wd with the inline 6. It needed some new bushing in the front end and new shocks in the back, she's got that wonderitus with some poping, took her to the shop, they said new shocks and bushing, no big deal, right? well everything was rolling smooth untill i got to the rear shocks. The nuts fastening it to the axle was no sweat at all. go to take the b!ch off, out of PB blaster. screw it, i'll just muscle it out of there, and snap. What's the next step? did i dig myself and my jeep into a grave? any help asap would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-31-2017, 06:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Don't panic! This is a very common issue. I've never had this issue myself but here is a link I have saved for when the day comes. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/s...-heavy-323809/
Old 05-31-2017, 08:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 224 Likes on 174 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 L

X2, we've all been there. Don't sweat it. I picked up an air chisel at Harbor Freight for cheap money and did this:

Old 05-31-2017, 09:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

Air chisel and fish new bolts thru as in that video, or an air chisel and Rough Countrys 1082 Flagnut kit. Dont forget the safety goggles.
Old 05-31-2017, 10:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

As stated above relax, it's a common issue.

As an aside the abbreviation TL;DR is usually used at the end of a drawn-out, rambling, incohesive essay and/or short story ie.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
TL;DR, any help asap would be greatly appreciated
Old 05-31-2017, 11:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6

I used a punch and a BFH to remove mine. Popped the junk nuts out after about 3 solid minutes of hammering per nut, not too bad.
Fished new bolts in, use antisieze when reinstalling. Consider installing Bar Pin Eliminators to get rid of the clunking for good
Old 06-01-2017, 09:06 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 6 cylinder

Originally Posted by investinwaffles
I used a punch and a BFH to remove mine. Popped the junk nuts out after about 3 solid minutes of hammering per nut, not too bad.
Fished new bolts in, use antisieze when reinstalling. Consider installing Bar Pin Eliminators to get rid of the clunking for good
^
Yep.
After you get the broken bolt(s) out, now is the time to install the BPE's.
Also with BPE's installed, you'll never need to worry about broken shock bolts again.
These are the one's i used.

http://www.morris4x4center.com/rough...t-rc-1089.html
Old 06-01-2017, 11:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2004 WJ, 1998 XJ
Model: Grand Cherokee(WJ)
Engine: 4.7 HO

Happens pretty much 100%. After hammering the broken nut/bolt out with a combination of an air hammer and BFH and a punch, I used these to bolt everything back up.

Amazon Amazon
Old 06-01-2017, 04:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 297 Likes on 252 Posts
Year: '96

Originally Posted by moparado
^
Yep.
After you get the broken bolt(s) out, now is the time to install the BPE's.
Also with BPE's installed, you'll never need to worry about broken shock bolts again.
These are the one's i used.

http://www.morris4x4center.com/rough...t-rc-1089.html
I like. Going to order two sets. Read where the shock bushing can move on the bar pin.
Old 06-01-2017, 08:03 PM

Thanks everyone. Pulled some BPE's off of the rear sway bars on a cherokee in a junkyard, Fished some bolts through there, done and done. Shocks replaced, front sway bar replaced, she rides like a dream ( well as good as you'd expect a cherokee to handle)
Old 06-01-2017, 08:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 297 Likes on 252 Posts
Year: '96

GOOD job!
Old 07-04-2017, 08:42 PM

Year: 1999 & 2000

Since this thread is fairly new, I'll ask here. I am replacing rear shocks that were replaced by the previous owner. 3 of the 4 upper bolts appear to have been replaced using a method similar to the bolt threading video above as there nuts on the outside. The fourth doesn't appear original, but the bolt head is on the outside. All 4 turn, but I cannot figure out how to grip the upper nut/bolt head to actually loosen them.

How do you loosen these bolts? I would rather not cut the floor since it hasn't been cut before.

Once I get them out, I am planning to go back with the RC rear bar pin flag nut.
Old 07-04-2017, 09:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997

Originally Posted by MikeInMo
Since this thread is fairly new, I'll ask here. I am replacing rear shocks that were replaced by the previous owner. 3 of the 4 upper bolts appear to have been replaced using a method similar to the bolt threading video above as there nuts on the outside. The fourth doesn't appear original, but the bolt head is on the outside. All 4 turn, but I cannot figure out how to grip the upper nut/bolt head to actually loosen them.

How do you loosen these bolts? I would rather not cut the floor since it hasn't been cut before.

Once I get them out, I am planning to go back with the RC rear bar pin flag nut.
Fish a wrench up there to hold the nut. I have no idea what size that nut is tho as i was installing Rough Countrys flag nut kit anway. Be sure to wear safety goggles working under there. Protect them eyes.
Old 07-05-2017, 05:37 PM

I was trying to do that. I'll just keep trying. Thanks.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by fb97xj1
Fish a wrench up there to hold the nut. I have no idea what size that nut is tho as i was installing Rough Countrys flag nut kit anway. Be sure to wear safety goggles working under there. Protect them eyes.
I finally got back to it over the weekend. It took a long time and a couple busted knuckles, but I finally got all 4 bolts out. There was a partial of one original nut on each side that I drilled out. Safety glasses were a must for the whole process.

The RC bar pin flag nuts were well worth getting. I highly recommend them.