Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Brief Buzzing/Grinding Noise When Turn Off '96 XJ

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 08:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Brief Buzzing/Grinding Noise When Turn Off '96 XJ

Boy, I hope to not make a habit of continuing to come back to bug you folks for information. No news is good news.

I noticed the other night and this morning something new from my '96. After I'm done driving (warmed up), I put the Jeep in park and turn off the ignition of course. Now that I think about it, I can't remember for sure whether I turn off the headlights first or not, but I think I usually do.

Anyway, after turning the key to the off position, I get a very brief buzzing or grinding noise. I'm not really sure how to describe it. It almost sounds like a starter motor when you try to start a vehicle that's always running, except a bit quieter and lasting only a second or less. It coincides with the vehicle being shut off, though. I recently had a starting issue that was resolved by replacing the starter motor and hadn't experienced this noise immediately afterward, so I'm not sure what it could be.

Some searching hasn't helped a lot so far...but if it's the door buzzer or relay, can I do without the door buzzer or is it necessary to keep in? If it's a relay, well, I'm not sure which one it could be yet. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-29-2016, 11:45 AM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
Year: 89
Engine: Renix 4.0

It should be fairly straightforward, with a helper, to determine if the noise is originating in the passenger, or engine compartment. This will help greatly with the diagnosis.
Old 12-29-2016, 05:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

It might be your mechanical fan grinding to a halt. Think fan clutch.
Old 12-29-2016, 07:04 PM

Received 268 Likes on 186 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

↑ What he said..
Old 12-30-2016, 03:59 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0l

Not sure about your year, but my 90' has the saddest sounding buzzer that goes off briefly when I leave my lights on. It is located left hand drivers side under dash.
Old 12-30-2016, 09:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CCKen
It might be your mechanical fan grinding to a halt. Think fan clutch.
I've seen your other posts, CCKen and have a huge amount of respect for your opinion. So last night I decided to check the play int he mechanical fan. The clutch does not appear to be seized or slipping too much. I tugged on it a bit and didn't find any immediate evidence of slop or play in the bearings, so I think I might be in the clear on it. Though if the noise rears its head again, I plan on checking that out again.

Originally Posted by Oswalla
Not sure about your year, but my 90' has the saddest sounding buzzer that goes off briefly when I leave my lights on. It is located left hand drivers side under dash.
I pulled my buzzer out last night and after driving home from work and the fan off, it didn't make the buzzing/grinding noise. After driving to work again today, I tried it the other way, with the fan on and it did not make the noise either. Fingers crossed, that might've been it. But I'll keep vigilant.