Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Brand new exhaust header back LEAK

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 06:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 litre I6
Default Brand new exhaust header back LEAK

Put on a new header and gasket... The flange was razorbladed clean a good gasket was made as far as I could tell. Then had the classic vacuum leak issue because a bolt wasn't tightened all the way. Fixed that all sewn up now, driving around enjoying my non cracked header and new exhaust ...had to romp on it to pass someone this morning and developed a leaky ticking noise. Idles fine so wtf not enough to be a vacuum leak but now a very noticeable exhaust leak 2k+
Old 02-15-2017, 06:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6

I usually run some seafoam when I am chasing exhaust leaks. Makes it real easy to find exactly where it is leaking out (use a flashlight to help ID the smoke too). Just enough into the throttle body to get it to smoke
Old 02-15-2017, 06:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 litre I6

Originally Posted by investinwaffles
I usually run some seafoam when I am chasing exhaust leaks. Makes it real easy to find exactly where it is leaking out (use a flashlight to help ID the smoke too). Just enough into the throttle body to get it to smoke
AHA! yes! Great idea.... I was thinking to myself like how tf do I make this smoke but its been a long day and couldnt think
Thanks man!
Old 02-15-2017, 06:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Re check every header/intake bolt and use sea foam (I prefer marvels mistery oil it's smoked 2 times as much as sea foam and it's cheaper) I wouldn't drive it until you figure out where it's coming from because from my experience when it starts leaking and the head it burns the gasket and you have to take everything back apart lol

Last edited by Archer M; 02-15-2017 at 06:32 PM.