Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

brake light problems, dashlights radio and exterior lights

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 02:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default brake light problems, dashlights radio and exterior lights

i have been having a problem with my 94 2dr sport.

when the brake pedal is pushed the dash lights come on, the radio has a static click and all the lights minus the headlights come on. the brake lights, turn signals, side markers and back up lights.

when the lights (first click) are turned on, all the lights come on including full brake lights.

whenever the headlights (second click) are turned on for 30 seconds or so the #15 fuse blows and the lights go out including the dash lights.

the radio turns on but no sound is played, minor static sometimes.

it seems to me it is a grounding or feedback issue. i have looked at the wiring diagrams for a while now and cannot figure out how the radio is connected with the brake circuit.

so far i have replaced the headlight switch and all the tail lights and it has not fixed the problem. i have checked the grounds at the tail lights and they are fine. ive spent a lot of time under the dash and cannot find any shorted frayed or burnt wires.

the brake relays (5 pin relays) i have started to audibly notice. are they supposed to be loud?

are there any other switches, relays or electronic boxes i can check? are there methods for checking other than replacing with a new one?
Old 03-21-2010, 01:06 PM

its been suggested to me to check the fuse box with a ohm meter. can anyone give me some clarification on what to look for in that test.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:38 AM

Year: 89
Engine: 4.7

check your wiring. sounds like there could have been a short and some wires ended up bonding together. your fuse is popping because theres too much load on that circuit or you have a grounded out wire. but a grounded wire doesnt explain what else is going on.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L HO

You check continuity from one end of a wire to the other. If its broke in between it wont sound the noise on the multimeter. But you have to have that option on your multimeter.....best is to at least get a cheap digital one from Harbor Freight. I would first check that fuse that keeps blowing, that's where your problem is. Trace both sides of that fuse back to where they originate. You should find the problem in between.

Last edited by fivendime; 03-25-2010 at 02:32 PM.
Old 06-26-2010, 06:03 PM

Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0 L

First things first. If you can, run down to the auto store like O'Reilly's and borrow their engine tester, plug it in and see what it says. Half the time those things are dead on. Even if it doesn't pick up all the bugs, it'll get you moving in the right direction. Then, if fixing that stuff doesn't work, you go the long way of either a multi-meter checking each fuse and whatever else seems all wonky until you find the problem. But, go the easy way first.