Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Both diffs were a quart low, should I be worried?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 05:53 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Both diffs were a quart low, should I be worried?

Just as the title says... decided to check my front & rear diff lube today and it was a good thing I did because each one needed a full quart added. Not sure how long they've been running low, but I don't hear any weird noises from them or anything. I've had this Jeep about six weeks and have been driving it daily. No serious harm done hopefully?

I've replaced rear axle tube seals before and I know it's no big deal, but how hard is it going to be to replace the axle seal on the front? Looks like a lot of stuff has to come off just to get to it. Anyone got a writeup on that?
Old 08-06-2011, 06:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

You don't need to get into a panic over what you've discovered just yet.

What you will be doing for the next week is watching both front and rear axles in order to determine exactly where the two are leaking. To start, look for oil seapage from the pinion shaft seals and their respective covers. You will wipe those two areas of each axle well with absorbent shop grade paper towels, the blue ones on a roll that Wal-Mart has. Once both are good and dry, drive it for a day, and then inspect the axles for leaks. Hopefully, your leak problems will be limited to either a pinion seal or a cover gasket.

You will be able to repair either situation on your own at little cost.

However, if after two or three days those areas mention are completely dry, that will be the time of consider axle tube and wheel seal replacements.

Also, make sure that your axle vents are open to the atmosphere and not blocked. Blockage can build up pressure in the units and force lube out past an otherwise good seal.