Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Botched repair job of a 91 cherokee, any recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 11:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Botched repair job of a 91 cherokee, any recommendations?

I have a 91 Laredo that was rear ended about a month ago. On recommendation of a friend I took it to a shop that didn't have my best interests in mind.

Here's what they did, they replaced the punctured gas tank with a junkyard metal tank holding it in with the metal straps. After I got out of the shop I went to fill up (which entails going over some railroad tracks) and one of the straps came off. They left the gas tank guard off!

I took it back down to the shop, they've already thrown the guard away and they don't want to do anything for me. They were able to restrap the tank back on but since this is my daily driver (80+ miles a day) I am concerned about this situation. The jeep is immaculate aside from this issue, should I park it and wait to find a part or will I be ok to drive it?
Old 11-03-2010, 11:52 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99
Engine: 4.0

its a 50/50. it will run w/o, but there was a reason they put a guard on in the first place... get a little "assertive" with the shop. if they have done something neglegent, then they need to be accountable. bummer they didnt do it right the first time, though. i wonder if some cheap sheet metal could be easile fabbed, or if it fits, the 96+ xj's have a totaly plastic tank assembly... idk...
Old 11-03-2010, 11:53 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 HO

The gas tank skid plate was probably trashed anyways if the gas tank was punctured. I couldnt really tell you if they did a hack job or not cause i would have to see it in person.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:58 AM

Well the plate wasn't in good condition, but I say it's better to have something than nothing (especially since it seems the straps have issues hanging onto the tank).

It was part of the original deal - cheap and on the road, new gas tank, beat out the old shield and put it on there.. I'm out of money though due to medical bills from a uninsured driver. The shop owner is there tomorrow, I'll try to press him but honestly I think he's probably as useless as the rest of the employess (IE we have their money, good day to you sir). I hope I'm wrong.

Any recommendations on a good enough replacement part? Autozone doesn't have anything, the junk yards are out of jeeps and I can't really think of anywhere else to look at the moment.
Old 11-03-2010, 12:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996

Start taking photos and document everything. Leave personal feeling out of the equation as this will make it more difficult to work with later. Stick to the facts only and present them to the shop indicating that you are willing to work with them towards a viable resolution.

If they are incapable of working with you then call who ever paid the bill for the fix assuming insurance / VISA regardless indicating that services were not performed bringing the vehicle back to the initial condition prior to the damage. Once they are charged back for the work then they seem to be a little bit more willing to work with you. Their are other means of getting them to perform the services correctly, but those get a bit nastier and will leave scars in their reputation long term such as BBB and attorney general involvement. Also leave a negative review online if they are unwilling to play nice.

Control of the situation does not include emotions, only facts and dinging their pocket book.

Had a shop attempt to charge my wife $700+ for checking the thermostat in the Jeep. All they did was replace the radiator cap. No other bolt was touched. That bill quickly became $0 and I drove away 10 min later.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:44 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990

i have a 90 and the skid plate for my gas tank is made of plastic which to me isn't
much protection you could get some 16 ga steel sheets and make one but you should be fine unless your rock crawling if its just a dd and see's little to no off roading you will be ok
Old 11-03-2010, 03:23 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L with throttle body spacer and cold air intake, bored throttle body, #784 injector upgrade

Take pictures... document everything.... and have the shop visited by your area Better Business Bureau. The BBB would be after you confront them and explain your problem and how it's really their problem. Once the attempt to be nice ends then report them and contact a lawyer. Dealing with this myself with an electrician who "worked" on my house. Good luck.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:58 AM

Year: 1996

Originally Posted by 00jeepXJ
Take pictures... document everything.... and have the shop visited by your area Better Business Bureau. The BBB would be after you confront them and explain your problem and how it's really their problem. Once the attempt to be nice ends then report them and contact a lawyer. Dealing with this myself with an electrician who "worked" on my house. Good luck.
If the electrician is a licensed contractor then go after his contractors license. He will become very responsive when he discovers that you are working towards damaging not only his immediate reputation, but ability to be bonded and insured. If he is one of those under the radar guys then your pretty much screwed. Best of luck to you both.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:24 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1992

CRUX < smart man Listen to him...
Old 11-04-2010, 09:33 AM
☠ CF Sheriff ☠

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L HO I-6, 703 Injectors, Brown Dog Super Engine Mounts

he's less than smart?
Old 11-04-2010, 11:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994

BTW, auto repair shops must be licensed...at least in Michigan. File a complaint.

Keep track of all expenses associated with getting this fixed...right down to mileage and time at some reasonable billing rate...and file a claim in small claims court. This costs $30...and I guarantee it will get their attention when the process server drops in with a supoena. I'd bet dollars to donuts it get fixed...and you get your $30 filing fee from them before you ever get near the court.

Once a judge sees the same guy a couple times...the penalties start to get steeper and get settled faster. This shop owner has been there before, I'm guessing. These guys are usually repeat performers.