Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Boomerang shackles or shackles relocator?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 07:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Boomerang shackles or shackles relocator?

Please let me know what do you use and why? Thanks.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 290 Likes on 239 Posts
Year: 1987 MJ, 1998 XJ, 1973 J2000, 89 waggy
Model: Comanche (MJ)
Engine: 4.0L H.O

my answer.... Full Leaf Pack... because lifting your rig with a Lift pack is always a better option than shackles
Old 11-22-2010, 09:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L I6 Powertech

shackles help your leafs flex out/contract better. i want to say revolving (boomerang?) shackles are better but i've heard about them unloading themselves randomly? idk haha
Old 11-22-2010, 09:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

1 relocation brackets are the best way. allow you to dial in your shackle angle for your lift pack.

2. a boomerang shackle serves no purpose on an XJ as you will not hit the body or "frame" of the rig. they are really meant for the rear of a CJ were the leafs will hit the frame because the frame extends past the shackle mount.

3. revolving shackles and boomerangs are not the same.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:53 PM

Thanks Irongrave.
I will go with full leaf pack for sure but on top of that I want to see weather shackles relocator or revolving (boomerang) shackles if I want to improve the function on the rear and looks like shackles relocator is a winner.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1987

and revolving shackles put unwanted twisting force (STRESS) on your leafs, because people are not well informed, and don't realize they need a revolving front bushing as well.
Old 11-23-2010, 06:23 AM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1996

after riding with a friend this weekend with a full leaf pack and stock shackles you need at least a 1in extended rear shackle so your spring wont smack in to the unibody on the trails. Even with a replication bracket if you wheel and need flex you need an extended shackle
Old 11-23-2010, 07:37 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: l6 4.0, K&N FIPK & 62mm bored TB

Originally Posted by 01erionracing
Thanks Irongrave.
I will go with full leaf pack for sure but on top of that I want to see weather shackles relocator or revolving (boomerang) shackles if I want to improve the function on the rear and looks like shackles relocator is a winner.
Okay, hold up. Are you reading the replies that you received? boomerang & revolving shackles are NOT the same. The terms should not be interchangeable.

In your first post it seems you're thinking that you use one or the other for the same purpose. Shackle relocator brackets & boomerang shackles can be used together; one doesn't necessarily exclude the other. I had the brackets & a 1" JKS boomerang on my XJ & I have always used full leaf packs.

As said above the s. r. brackets are so you can correct your shackle angle when running lift leafs (which are sometimes longer than stock leafs). Ideally your shackles should be at a 45 degree angle to the body when the Jeep is at rest. The boomerangs come in when your shackles hit the body ... and yes, Irongrave, they do hit, and boomerangs are sometimes necessary. If you think about the sheer number of companies that make & sell XJ boomerang shackles, your comment makes no sense. Unless you're confusing boomerang shackles with something else. The boomerangs have a "dog leg" design to carry the end of the end of the leafs away from the frame.

There are multiple discussions about this on NAXJA. Searching there will get you a lot of good information.
Old 11-23-2010, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by _StationWagon_
Okay, hold up. Are you reading the replies that you received? boomerang & revolving shackles are NOT the same. The terms should not be interchangeable.

In your first post it seems you're thinking that you use one or the other for the same purpose. Shackle relocator brackets & boomerang shackles can be used together; one doesn't necessarily exclude the other. I had the brackets & a 1" JKS boomerang on my XJ & I have always used full leaf packs.

As said above the s. r. brackets are so you can correct your shackle angle when running lift leafs (which are sometimes longer than stock leafs). Ideally your shackles should be at a 45 degree angle to the body when the Jeep is at rest. The boomerangs come in when your shackles hit the body ... and yes, Irongrave, they do hit, and boomerangs are sometimes necessary. If you think about the sheer number of companies that make & sell XJ boomerang shackles, your comment makes no sense. Unless you're confusing boomerang shackles with something else. The boomerangs have a "dog leg" design to carry the end of the end of the leafs away from the frame.

There are multiple discussions about this on NAXJA. Searching there will get you a lot of good information.
_StationWagon_
Thanks for the explaination. I have learned some more.