Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Blown rear drive shaft

Old 02-05-2013, 07:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Blown rear drive shaft

Was at a stoplight earlier and when the light turned green I hit the gas, Jeep didn't move so I gave it a bit more gas (my trans leaks a little bit (about a quart a month) so I thought it had just gotten low when it wouldn't move), Jeep bucked and I felt/heard the rear driveshaft grenade. After I stopped having a heart attack I pushed it over into a turn lane and looked underneath. Drive shaft ripped the axle yoke apart.

About 20 min prior to that I helped a friend pull a Nissan Hardbody out of the back lot at work. It had been sitting a few years so the brake were seized. Had to put it in 4 high to pull it out (gravel lot).

Curious what would cause the rear end to grenade like that before I go fixing it and have it happen again. I don't know what it did on the road prior to it blowing because I had music on and couldn't hear before it happened.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

It's always a good idea to change the u-joints before they explode, preventative maintenance.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:24 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Turbo X_J
It's always a good idea to change the u-joints before they explode, preventative maintenance.
Well no ****, but this was totally out of the blue. I haven't had any issues prior to this.

I don't need smartass comments, thanks.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:28 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 ho

I granaded a new HD ujoint and yoke... But I was roasting rubber threw an intersection and got some nasty wheel hop when I crossed the ruts in the pavement.

Possability something locked up the diff, causing it to not go and the added throttle made it go boom? But seeing as its an auto that is unlikly.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Originally Posted by motorcharge
Well no ****, but this was totally out of the blue. I haven't had any issues prior to this.

I don't need smartass comments, thanks.
You might as well take advantage of this this opportunity to check all the u-joints then.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

well my suggestion would be is jack the rearend up and seeif everything rotates smoothly, if not pull the cover and inspect for broken pieces, if everything is ok sounds like it might of been a worn u-joint and pulling that truck might have been the end of it...
Old 02-06-2013, 05:41 AM
CF Veteran

You might as well take advantage of this this opportunity to check all the u-joints then.
Yeah, I'm gonna go ahead and replace them since I'm pulling the driveshaft anyway.

Originally Posted by jebmccall
well my suggestion would be is jack the rearend up and seeif everything rotates smoothly, if not pull the cover and inspect for broken pieces, if everything is ok sounds like it might of been a worn u-joint and pulling that truck might have been the end of it...
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I might just go to the JY and pick up an 8.8 to swap in and be done with it though.