Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

blown gasket, bad radiator - do i try it

Old 10-22-2017, 09:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee
Default blown gasket, bad radiator - do i try it

so, a couple of weeks ago, my radiator went out and i over heated. took it to a mechanic, he told me the radiator was bad, blown head gasket and not sure what else. so, started having him add up prices and at $1200, we stopped. I'm not sure how we are up to over $1200 now that I've had time to think. I guess my question is, should i attempt to fix or just sell as is? i have 201k miles, it's a 2000 xj and looks pretty good for what it is. I bought another one and having trouble getting it fixed up.

So, I think I need to replace the radiator, replace the head gasket, change the oil and antifreeze. would that be all or is there more and what chances are there that i can run it fine? I'm guessing the parts will cost a little under $200 if the above is all. I just don't want to put in all of the time to find out that I spent $200 for nothing.

Thoughts? ideas? I love it and would love to keep it and sell the one i just bought.

Couple of added notes: the mechanic did a leak down test. also, prior to getting to the mechanic, i got an error code of P0303 cylinder 3 misfire detected.

Last edited by JBSurfs; 10-22-2017 at 09:46 AM. Reason: adding info
Old 10-22-2017, 10:37 AM
CF Veteran

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 97
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by JBSurfs
so, a couple of weeks ago, my radiator went out and i over heated. took it to a mechanic, he told me the radiator was bad, blown head gasket and not sure what else. so, started having him add up prices and at $1200, we stopped. I'm not sure how we are up to over $1200 now that I've had time to think. I guess my question is, should i attempt to fix or just sell as is? i have 201k miles, it's a 2000 xj and looks pretty good for what it is. I bought another one and having trouble getting it fixed up.

So, I think I need to replace the radiator, replace the head gasket, change the oil and antifreeze. would that be all or is there more and what chances are there that i can run it fine? I'm guessing the parts will cost a little under $200 if the above is all. I just don't want to put in all of the time to find out that I spent $200 for nothing.

Thoughts? ideas? I love it and would love to keep it and sell the one i just bought.

Couple of added notes: the mechanic did a leak down test. also, prior to getting to the mechanic, i got an error code of P0303 cylinder 3 misfire detected.
Unfortunately this is hard to determine until it is torn down. Could have a cracked head (like mine did) when you get it apart, or toasted rod bearings because the oil got too thin while it was hot, or scored cylinder walls and pistons. Or it could just be a gasket and simple. It all depends on how hot it got and for how long but there is no way to really tell until you get in there and look at it. Be prepared for the worst and hope for the best at this point.
Old 10-22-2017, 09:58 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, the way i see it, you cant really make the motor worse than it already is, so whats the harm in taking it apart? Get a FSM, disasseble it, take a look in there, might be pleasantly surprised, might be worth fixing.
Old 10-23-2017, 02:42 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

It's a 4.0.. Replace the head with a quality remanufactured... Replace the radiator.. Might as well do water pump, hoses and t-stat.. Change the oil..

Even with the cost of new tools, you should be about half of the shop quote for everything. Weekend mechanic can do this.