Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Blowing my fuel line off! HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 11:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Blowing my fuel line off! HELP!

Well I had been having hard start issues so I installed a check valve. Now my fuel line is holding pressure but the pressure is blowing the fuel line apart. Here is a picture of where this is happening. The line connects back on with a 'snap'. The jeep runs fine after reconnecting the line but after I shut the Jeep off the line pops off again within a minute or two. Should I disconnect the check valve? Or is this another problem?

Old 01-23-2010, 11:20 AM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 liter

sounds to me like something stuck inside the fuel line. maybe replace the whole line? install the check valve on the new line, then if it works. take the check valve off. or keep it on if you wish.
Old 01-23-2010, 01:33 PM

I don't think anything is stuck because the jeep runs fine when it's connected. No fuel delivery problems at all. The fuel line pops off a couple of minutes after I shut it off. After I reconnect it I just have to re pressurize the lines (key on-off-on) then it will run and start fine. It's just when I shut it off it pops off again.

Help......me......
Old 01-23-2010, 01:56 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Kevin Emary
I don't think anything is stuck because the jeep runs fine when it's connected. No fuel delivery problems at all. The fuel line pops off a couple of minutes after I shut it off. After I reconnect it I just have to re pressurize the lines (key on-off-on) then it will run and start fine. It's just when I shut it off it pops off again.

Help......me......
Try making sure the inside of the hose is try and clean where the connection is made, along with making sure the metal hardline is clean on the outside...if that doesn't fix it make sure the hose is in good condition and get a new hose clamp and hose if it needs replacing
Old 02-13-2010, 10:32 PM

Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by Kevin Emary
Well I had been having hard start issues so I installed a check valve. Now my fuel line is holding pressure but the pressure is blowing the fuel line apart. Here is a picture of where this is happening. The line connects back on with a 'snap'. The jeep runs fine after reconnecting the line but after I shut the Jeep off the line pops off again within a minute or two. Should I disconnect the check valve? Or is this another problem?

Here's the issue. You installed a check valve that has no calibrated pressure relief like the stock unit does. You drive the car for a while and get it up to operating temp. Your fuel line sits 6 or 8 inches above your exhaust manifold allowing your non-compressible fuel to get hot and force it's way out of the weakest point. In this case it is your fuel line. Take out that check valve immediately. Read the box it came in. These check valves ARE NOT DESIGNED FOR RETURNLESS FUEL SYSTEMS.