Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Blower motor keeps blowing fues.

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 08:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Blower motor keeps blowing fues.

92 Cherokee When i bought the jeep someone had cut the plug in connector off the blower motor. I have connected it back together, and replaced the fuse. It would only run on high. I swapped the resistor out with a used one from a 94 cherokee. It will work for a day or two and then the fuse will blow.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:00 AM
Do you hear banjos?

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Motor is bad. When they get old/bad, they need more power to run, so they blow fuses. HTH!!
Old 02-23-2010, 09:00 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0

replace blower motor
Old 02-23-2010, 09:02 AM

havenot worked on a jeep blower motor...but usually ihave found that if i keep blowing the blower motor fuse, there is too much drag (resistants) in the blower motor. Dirty bushing, bearings or maybe even bad carbon brushes/armature.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:08 AM

Year: 1996

Servey says. Replace the motor.

Sometimes they get moisture in them also. The one is mine was frozen with rust. Not a bad idea to do a resistor when you do the motor.

You could also have pets in there. Mouse nest will cause a bit of resistance. also a nasty oder from vents. and usually a funny noise.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:19 AM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0, bolt ons for days...

replace the motor and the resistor, itll cost you 50 bucks for both. and you dont want to melt the wiring harness if one or the other craps out.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:42 AM

Thanks a lot, i figured it was probably the motor but wasnt sure. I have pulled everything a part 2 times checking. I will get a motor today.
Old 02-23-2010, 01:04 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999

Originally Posted by lonestar_yj
Thanks a lot, i figured it was probably the motor but wasnt sure. I have pulled everything a part 2 times checking. I will get a motor today.
Let us know what you find out. I think I may have the same problem.
Old 03-07-2010, 12:31 PM

Replaced blower motor with part pm256 for autozone and a blower resistor from orileys. Turned the heater on, ran for a minute and blew the fuse. I pulled the switch panel out checking for loose, melted wires, and everything looks good. Looked at the resistor wires and all looks good. I put and new fuse in and nothing comes on.
Old 03-07-2010, 01:13 PM

Ok, one of the plugs in dash controls was not hooked up. Blower is working now. I pulled the resistor out of the air box. It is getting hot (you can smell it) then i blows the fuse. What should i check.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:33 AM

bump for some info
Old 03-08-2010, 12:13 PM
Seasoned Member

Check the power and ground wires for the blower motor. See if they are in good shape. If they are kinked, corroded, or just don't look good replace them with thicker gauge wire. Old nasty wires can have a ton of resistance in them and cause all of your symptoms, and fires.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:58 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 91 xj, 93 xj, 93 zj, 94 zj
Engine: 2x I6, 2x v8
Default Heater motor blowing fuses too!

Having the same problem, swapped motors with a known good from my other jeep, same with the resistor pack. Thermal fuse reads good. Checked all the wiring I can get to and still no luck. Mine INSTANTLY blows the fuse when you switch it to anything but the lowest setting. Been dealing with it for nearly a year.

I've tried ohming it out, and everything seems to be fine. (and I'm trying to remember what happened when I unplugged the motor and turned it on...I'll try that again) I know there are no dead shorts to the frame.

Right before it started blowing fuses, the fan would vary in speed intermittantly for a couple days, but I thought I had a vacume leak messing with my duct controls, so I didn't think anything of it. When it stopped completely I hit the book and found the fuse blown.

Any more thoughts/ideas to try? I'd rather get the thing running before next winter: it was... interesting tryint to keep the windows from fogging last year...
Old 06-22-2010, 12:34 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1994
Engine: 4000cc

dont mean to state the obvious but is it the correct rating fuse for the load
Old 06-24-2010, 05:48 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 91 xj, 93 xj, 93 zj, 94 zj
Engine: 2x I6, 2x v8

It's been a little while since I messed with it last, I just keep the windows down in the summer. I believe I did have the correct fuse size. I just came across a few resettable breakers and may try that for testing, now that I think about it.

Sorry it took me a while to reply. For some reason this computer was not refreshing the forum pages or other things, so your reply didn't show up. It may still not be working, as my inbox says I have other replies and they won't show up still, even after working on it. figures! just had the trans coolant line blow out on my way home last night, and had to swap with my off road rig for the day. New lines will take 2-4 days to get here, which puts it at the end of the weekend... *grumble*

Quick Reply: Blower motor keeps blowing fues.