Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Blower moter won't blow. THE SEQUEL

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 08:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4 liter
Default Blower moter won't blow. THE SEQUEL

As posted on my previous post by the same title I have a blower motor issue. Well after checking the relay ,resistor ,etc with no resolution I decided to strip the tape from the wiring lead to the motor to see if I could unplug it and bypass the switch and crew by hooking directly to the battery. I removed the air pump assembly to gain acesss to the motor and wire and pulled on the connector. It did not budge. So I gave up for the night. The next day the blower worked ,sort of, it put out air while howling feebly. Until I hit a bump, then it died. Since that time it has come on (loudly) and shut off when I hit a bump. So the questions I have are ; is this a sign that mr . blower motor is leaving us , can the blower be removed without draining the A.C. , how the hell do you unplug the connector? Any help would be welcome
Old 12-01-2010, 05:39 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 91 xj, 93 xj, 93 zj, 94 zj
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 2x I6, 2x v8

Was looking for the old thread I'd posted an issue in and found this one, and have an answer (I think), so I figured I'd shoot it to ya.

I've been all through my heater system tracking down a short and here's what I can tell you as it pertains to your question:

a) More than likely you blower is going out or is at least very dirty. It will need cleaned or replaced, assuming you don't have a mouse nest in there causing the problem. Regardless, you will need to remove the blower to find out

b) Fortunatly, they are cheap. I just bought one for $26.99 plus tax at autozone.

c) There is one other component that affects motor speed (torque, etc): the resistor pack, but this is cheap too.

d) Can't be 100% sure on the newest models of XJ, but every one I've come across ('89 with A/C, '91 without A/C, and '93 with A/C) the blower motor is the same position, and does not require messing with the A/C system.

On some of the above mentioned XJs, the washer fluid bottle or coolant bottle was installed over the blower fan and had to be moved out of the way. On one it didn't, the washer bottle was located elsewhere, and there was nothing obstructing the path to the blower motor.

The blower motor is located on the firewall on the passenger side. It is held in place with three nuts and "sealed" by a foam gasket. It can be stubborn to remove with this gasket, but take care not to damage the foam, I don't know how hard it is to find a new one or how hard it is to replace. Just slide the blower fan (usually a black cylender) straight to the front of the vehicle until it clears the foam gasket. The fan itself is a squirrel cage about 4 7/8" long, and there is one connector on the fan itself, or an inline connector for the fan.

The hardest part of replacing the fan is removing the coolant bottle or washer bottle if they are in the way, I've found. The fasteners for these can be in some crazy places if they are there, and the washer bottle is easily broken.

Resistor pack location:
The resistor pack (with or without A/C, at least for '87-'94, perhaps all years) is inside the cab on the passenger side ductwork, almost to the floor. There is a single connector that looks a lot like the speed control switch connector with the same color/size wires (its actually connected directly to the switch by this couple feet of wiring harness). Unplug the connector and remove the two screws holding the part in. It looks like a distorted flat oval with spade connectors in it, and I've only seen them in black. When removed, it will look like a bunch of coils of wire (three coils for three different speeds) and has one silver thermal fuse in the middle. The fuse should show as a short (0 ohm or thereabouts) according to a meter. As long as all the coils are intact and the fuse checks ok, the pack is ok.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by TrollHammer; 12-01-2010 at 05:41 PM. Reason: typo