Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Blower fuse keeps popping

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 07:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l
Default Blower fuse keeps popping

So I was driving down the road the other day and hit a descent size bump and my vents stopped blowing. Sure enough my blower fuse was blown. Now everytime I put a new fuse in it and turn the vents on it blows the fuse. This ever happen to anyone? Where should I start?
Old 06-14-2010, 07:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1999 XJ
Engine: I6 4.0L

It could be that your blower motor just went out, I know that as they reach the end of their lifespan they draw more and more amps... I'd start at the blower motor (passenger side engine bay mounted against the firewall) by unplugging it and testing whether it has power (with a fuse in). If the fuse blows right when you put it in without the blower motor plugged in, you know there's a short somewhere in the wire. Next test the wires between the switch and fuse, then between the fuse and battery. You can get to the switch by removing your dash bezel and stereo, it'll be on the back of the climate controls. All this testing is best done with a multimeter/voltmeter but a 12v bulb with wires works as well.

Buy a bunch of fuses, you'll probably burn some more before you find the gremlin.
Old 06-15-2010, 06:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0l

Originally Posted by alpine.adrenaline
It could be that your blower motor just went out, I know that as they reach the end of their lifespan they draw more and more amps... I'd start at the blower motor (passenger side engine bay mounted against the firewall) by unplugging it and testing whether it has power (with a fuse in). If the fuse blows right when you put it in without the blower motor plugged in, you know there's a short somewhere in the wire. Next test the wires between the switch and fuse, then between the fuse and battery. You can get to the switch by removing your dash bezel and stereo, it'll be on the back of the climate controls. All this testing is best done with a multimeter/voltmeter but a 12v bulb with wires works as well.

Buy a bunch of fuses, you'll probably burn some more before you find the gremlin.
Awesome reply...Thank you very much.
Old 06-15-2010, 06:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 94
Engine: 4.0L

mine was unplugged underneath where the stereo goes, once plugged in it worked fine