Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Blocked bolts for the tailpipe hanger bracket. Plus, angle grinder update!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 08:50 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L i6
Default Blocked bolts for the tailpipe hanger bracket. Plus, angle grinder update!!

I have 2 questions in this thread.

I was going to try using my cordless impact wrench on those bolts, but as you can see the exhaust is directly in the way. Are you supposed to cut off the exhaust to access that bracket? (Job for a professional)

By the way, for those wondering what happened to my angle grinding adventures on the exhaust bracker (Bully mods now erase every thread I start, even when they contain valuable info for beginners like me) I decided to use the Dremel with cutoff wheels after the grinder failed to cut the bolt. FINALLY, after 2 years of failures, I cut off my first part!!!! This is huge. This was a royal pain b/c every angle I could get required me to sit in the path of the sparks. But, I eventually did it. There it is! I am never using that angle grinder again. I'd rather take 10 mins, and use a Dremel to cut small bolts and clamps. Now, if I can figure out how to remove those 2 large bracket bolts.

The other question was discussed before, but I never understood the answer, so here is a photo. Here is how far my grinder got. As you can see, there is a huge flat part that still holds the clamp on, like a rivet. How on earth are you supposed to remove that? Dremel cutting wheel will never shave it that flat, b/c you just don't have the angle. Grinding off that bolt would NOT have helped remove that clamp. That is why I decided to Dremel the u-bolt, not the bolts
Old 11-04-2014, 08:53 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

Looks like you used a grinding wheel instead of a cutoff wheel on the grinder. It would have went through in seconds.
Old 11-04-2014, 09:12 PM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L

1200 posts and you are still a "beginner"?

Try using a shorter socket as opposed to that deep well you show in the first picture.

And, you do know that they make impact swivel sockets for when you "just can't quite get there"... right?

And for crying out loud, you have that exhaust held up by wire? Jeebus man, get the dikes out.

Focus Bimmer, focus.
Old 11-04-2014, 09:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0

What phletch said....and you need to get a pack of 4 inch cutting wheels, to make that grinder do a lot more than a grinding wheel would do for these type of jobs....
Old 11-04-2014, 09:24 PM
Banned

The deep socket is not the issue.
The exhaust pipe is directly under the bolt.
Is there basically no way to use an impact?

I guess the bracket gets installed before the exhaust,
so I will need to move the exhaust to access those bracket bolts.
Old 11-04-2014, 09:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jimbo Slice
And for crying out loud, you have that exhaust held up by wire? Jeebus man, get the dikes out.
What are you trying to say? What are dikes?
The wire is holding up the exhaust.
I am trying to do a proper fix but can not access the $15 bracket
Old 11-04-2014, 09:35 PM
Banned

How would a cutoff wheel be able to remove that washer rivet part that was formed?
I can't imagine it being able to get UNDER that to peel it away.

Old 11-04-2014, 09:43 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1997

You would cut on the flat part through it, and the nut head and threads.

Also use a rachet or a breaker bar, smaller socket if you have to. Not everything is accessable with an impact gun. Just like an impact gun will not untighten everything.
Old 11-04-2014, 09:54 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Originally Posted by Jimbo Slice
1200 posts and you are still a "beginner"?

Try using a shorter socket as opposed to that deep well you show in the first picture.

And, you do know that they make impact swivel sockets for when you "just can't quite get there"... right?

Focus Bimmer, focus.
You're new here. Go read some of the other posts. Entertaining for sure.
Originally Posted by BimmerJeeper
What are you trying to say? What are dikes?
The wire is holding up the exhaust.
I am trying to do a proper fix but can not access the $15 bracket
You don't know what dikes are? I thought you took yoga classes?
How would a cutoff wheel be able to remove that washer rivet part that was formed?
I can't imagine it being able to get UNDER that to peel it away.

Cutoff wheel to cut. Grinder wheel to grind any remaining material away. Your posts contain valuable info for beginners? A bit biased there, man. Sitting in the path of the sparks? Wear protective gear, and let them hit you. If you'd rather use a dremel to do the same thing, but take WAY more time, that's cool...but talk about going around the block to get next door...
Old 11-04-2014, 10:01 PM
Banned

So, once the bolt is sheared off, I would then use a grinding wheel to grind away that washer? I can grind with a Dremel also, or just cut? Yea, feel way safer with Dremel. I have no problem taking 15 mins to cut a bolt if it means not chopping my hand off.
Old 11-04-2014, 10:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1994

So, once the bolt is sheared off, I would then use a grinding wheel to grind away that washer? I can grind with a Dremel also, or just cut? Yea, feel way safer with Dremel. I have no problem taking 15 mins to cut a bolt if it means not chopping my hand off.
Do you huff a whole can of spray paint before you go out to work on your jeep?
Old 11-04-2014, 10:08 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.6 stroker

I will say this: you made the right decision. I have a feeling you would seriously hurt yourself. Yeah, you can grind with a dremel....but hope you have lots of time...you'll have to use grinding stone attachments, and it will take a long time. Or, you can man up, and grind that "rivet" head off. Your call.
Old 11-04-2014, 10:14 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L HO

What are dikes?

diagonal nose cutters:

The deep socket is not the issue.
The exhaust pipe is directly under the bolt.
Is there basically no way to use an impact?

I guess the bracket gets installed before the exhaust,
so I will need to move the exhaust to access those bracket bolts.

What do you need an impact wrench for on the small bolts for that little bracket? I used a 1/4" ratchet when I did mine (I did spray the bolts with liquid-wrench first). If you need more leverage use a 3/8" or 1/2" ratchet/breaker bar (note if your bolts are badly seized they will likely break off and you will have to replace the nut-strip (or drill out and re-tap the hole) in the frame (the hitch also bolts to this nut-strip if you have one so you would need to unbolt both the hitch and exhaust bracket to remove/replace the nut-strip).
Old 11-05-2014, 12:21 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you've ever read the O2 sensor and blanket issues BJ has had, this will all make sense.
There is no hope ...

Some folks learn the hard way, some folk just never learn no matter which way.
Old 11-05-2014, 05:51 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by dmill89
diagonal nose cutters:

What do you need an impact wrench for on the small bolts for that little bracket? I used a 1/4" ratchet when I did mine (I did spray the bolts with liquid-wrench first). If you need more leverage use a 3/8" or 1/2" ratchet/breaker bar (note if your bolts are badly seized they will likely break off and you will have to replace the nut-strip (or drill out and re-tap the hole) in the frame (the hitch also bolts to this nut-strip if you have one so you would need to unbolt both the hitch and exhaust bracket to remove/replace the nut-strip).
The bolts that hold the rubber hose bracket to the frame are 18mm. Hardly tiny. They won't budge. Others have also used impact to get them off.
Sounds more serious than I thought. If they break, then I am screwed with no bracket to hang the exhaust off ?

Quick Reply: Blocked bolts for the tailpipe hanger bracket. Plus, angle grinder update!!