Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Blend door not moving?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 06:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 99
Model: Cherokee
Default Blend door not moving?

SO I know there is a lot of threads on this already but nothing like my jeeps symptoms.
When I first start the xj up and if I have the blower on 1 it will come out of my windshield defrost if I turn it up at all I hear a loud vacuum noise and a flap closing then the air comes out the side defrost vents only and then the heat turns to cold air.
As far as I saw I didn't see any vacuum lines disconnected ether.

I need my heat lol how would I check if the blend door is working or if its even the blend door at all
Old 10-29-2011, 10:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Get a copy of the TSM and look at the page with the vacuum diagrams. If you do not have one you can find good information here:

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowled...ex.htm#service

Then find the directions to remove the glove box and the radio.

With these out and a good flashlight you can just about see all of the vacuum motors involved with the heating system.

Then start the jeep up and move the controls to see what motors are working. You may need to look up above the gas pedal to see one of the motors working. The blend door is under the glove box.

There are good diagnostics in the TSM. If you have a hand vacuum pump you can test the motors from the connector near the glove box. I f you have a vacuum gauge you can also see how much vacuum is getting to the heater controls. Inadequate vacuum will mean the motors will not work correctly.