Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Black smoke, burning rich

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 09:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Black smoke, burning rich

Thought I would post what I found, for the next guy..
Had black smoke, from tail pipe, was burning really rich, and gas milage was really bad, and it was running rough..
I think I found the problem today..

Opened up the air box to check the filter, and took the filter out, and I found, a squirrel nest.
The entire box, from top to bottom front to back, was packed full and tight with leaves, dirt, and squirrel poo.. Oh yeah and lots of nuts...
Got the shop vac out, and cleaned it out really good, blew out the filter real good with the air, until I can get another filter..
Was still running rough.

So I disconnected the battery, and reset the computer.
Fired up great, no smoke, took it down to the gas station and back, and no more smoke, and it's running a lot better.

I compared the spots in the driveway. Before had a big black spot. After was clean..

The check engine light never came back on either.

So I think I got that problem fixed, and I'm moving on to the next one..

My guess is, it couldn't get any air, and the computer tried to compensate for it by giving more fuel, too much fuel, and caused the soot and smoke.
Cleaning it opened the airway, and then resetting the computer allowed it to make adjustments for the now unrestricted air flow.. That's my guess. It's just a guess but it seemed to do the trick.

Hope that long story helps somebody out.

Last edited by briansgarage; 07-24-2011 at 09:51 PM.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 L/242 CID I-6 High Output MFI

I don't know what to say...
Old 07-25-2011, 12:38 AM

I don't know man, that's what happened.
I opened the cover and seen a white filter and put the cover back on when I was looking at it. Never thought to take out the filter and look for a squirrel nest..
Old 07-25-2011, 01:25 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990
Engine: The venerable 4.0

Wow
Old 07-25-2011, 07:54 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.6 Re-Built Golen, 68-200-4 Comp Cam

Originally Posted by briansgarage
Thought I would post what I found, for the next guy..
Had black smoke, from tail pipe, was burning really rich, and gas milage was really bad, and it was running rough..
I think I found the problem today..

Opened up the air box to check the filter, and took the filter out, and I found, a squirrel nest.
The entire box, from top to bottom front to back, was packed full and tight with leaves, dirt, and squirrel poo.. Oh yeah and lots of nuts...
Got the shop vac out, and cleaned it out really good, blew out the filter real good with the air, until I can get another filter..
Was still running rough.

So I disconnected the battery, and reset the computer.
Fired up great, no smoke, took it down to the gas station and back, and no more smoke, and it's running a lot better.

I compared the spots in the driveway. Before had a big black spot. After was clean..

The check engine light never came back on either.

So I think I got that problem fixed, and I'm moving on to the next one..

My guess is, it couldn't get any air, and the computer tried to compensate for it by giving more fuel, too much fuel, and caused the soot and smoke.
Cleaning it opened the airway, and then resetting the computer allowed it to make adjustments for the now unrestricted air flow.. That's my guess. It's just a guess but it seemed to do the trick.

Hope that long story helps somebody out.
This is why you need a snorkel.

There is a minimum rate that the injectors will input. Just because you get 70% less air doesn't mean the injectors can scale down the fuel level 70%. They have their flow rate, and the fuel lines are pressurized at the rate they are designed to be from the factory for that reason so that they two work in tandem to get the performance/gas mileage it was designed for.

There's a cut off where with more air you need bigger injectors... as with less air you need smaller injectors