Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Binding from park to reverse-94 auto I-6

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 06:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 1997 4.0 I6
Default Binding from park to reverse-94 auto I-6

I seem to be binding up coming from park to reverse, also, going back into park ( engine running) getting a noise like a baseball card in a bike wheel spoke!! Is there any adjustment for the shifter? Could my problem be trans/internal?? Im not sure how to approach this considering the engine was out of the vehicle and ive yet to drive it since getting it running!! any help is appreciated!
Old 01-26-2011, 10:53 AM

ANYONE????? All im looking for is to know wether or not the shifter has any adjustment points to remedy my problem or can the shifter actually get worn out requiring replacement??
Old 01-26-2011, 10:57 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by garb.man
ANYONE????? All im looking for is to know wether or not the shifter has any adjustment points to remedy my problem or can the shifter actually get worn out requiring replacement??
It sounds like your shifter linkage is out of whack. Get it up on 4 jackstands, have a buddy start it and hold the brake. you climb underneath and manually shift from there. (obviously disconnect the shifter linkage before you try). If it shifts fine adjust your linkage, if it doesn't, chances are the problem is internal.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:22 AM

What do you recc using to manually shift it, could i slap some vise-grips on the stud the linkage attaches to and shift it like that?? Ive never driven this jeep before, the guy i got it from pulled the engine out, he got it from a girl that blew the engine right in front of his house (sent a rod thru the oil pan), guess it was ironic, cause he had two other cherokees that only see trail/offroad park duty! what am i lookn for as far as adjusting the linkage, do you poss have a pic or anything???? Thanks for the reply
Old 01-26-2011, 11:31 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by garb.man
What do you recc using to manually shift it, could i slap some vise-grips on the stud the linkage attaches to and shift it like that?? Ive never driven this jeep before, the guy i got it from pulled the engine out, he got it from a girl that blew the engine right in front of his house (sent a rod thru the oil pan), guess it was ironic, cause he had two other cherokees that only see trail/offroad park duty! what am i lookn for as far as adjusting the linkage, do you poss have a pic or anything???? Thanks for the reply
http://greatlakesxj.com/tech.html download the 94 manual and it will give you the info you need. Sorry no pics. Yes you could use vise grips, I just use my hands. If it doesn't move easily there's an internal problem.