Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

BFG's vs. Dayton

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 03:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Default BFG's vs. Dayton

Do BFG A/T tires out perform Dayton Timberline A/T tires in mud?
Old 01-05-2009, 03:30 PM

Location: tan house white shutters key's under the flower pot
Engine: 4.0

i can't answer directly, but i can tell you this.

dayton is a private label of firestone. basically cheap house brand. i've worked for 2 firestones before, unfortanetly. and bfg is one of the best off road tire manufacturers

so your comparing one of the best, with an off brand label. BUT, would the cost offset the performance, in just mud, probably not.
Old 01-05-2009, 03:35 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by jpdocdave

dayton is a private label of firestone. basically cheap house brand. i've worked for 2 firestones before, unfortanetly. and bfg is one of the best off road tire manufacturers

so your comparing one of the best, with an off brand label. BUT, would the cost offset the performance, in just mud, probably not.
Not to hijack but since you have worked for Firestone what's your thoughts on the Firestone Destination MT tires?
Old 01-05-2009, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by weekendcherokeewarrior
Do BFG A/T tires out perform Dayton Timberline A/T tires in mud?
If you are looking for a good AT tire for your Jeep look at the General Grabber AT2. Also go look at tirerack.com and read the surveys and reviews.

Last edited by okcjeeper; 01-05-2009 at 03:49 PM.
Old 01-05-2009, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by okcjeeper
Not to hijack but since you have worked for Firestone what's your thoughts on the Firestone Destination MT tires?
its been a while, but that was a decent tire for the price i think. nothing spectacular, but no real problems i saw. the bridgestone dueller a.t. revo were decent also.

any reason you ask?
Old 01-05-2009, 03:46 PM

if not in mud what would you say about off road in general? just looking at and comparing the treads the BFG's look to have bigger gaps between treads which would seem to add traction especially in mud, I guess thats why I kinda lean towards the BFG's
Old 01-05-2009, 03:46 PM

its been a while, but that was a decent tire for the price i think. nothing spectacular, but no real problems i saw. the bridgestone dueller a.t. revo were decent also.

any reason you ask?
Just asking...I know the Destination MT get's good reviews on tirerack and other places. I am looking at it in a 31", some treadwright MT 31" and also Cooper STT 32" and Maxis Bighorn 32" tires..Just weighing my options before I purchase..Of course the treadwrights are the cheapest option.
Old 01-05-2009, 03:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0 HO

i have the general grabber at2's. they are exactlly the same as the bfg's but for a lot cheaper.
Old 01-05-2009, 03:48 PM

if not in mud what would you say about off road in general? just looking at and comparing the treads the BFG's look to have bigger gaps between treads which would seem to add traction especially in mud, I guess thats why I kinda lean towards the BFG's
Just comparing the tread I would go with the BFG's but tey will cost more. If you like the BFG's look at the General Grabber AT2's I posted about..Very good tire with a similar tread pattern to the BFG. Also treadwright.com makes a retread of the BFG's for a very good price.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:08 PM

in mud you want it to clean out well, but any big mud tire will do fine in mud. now if you get into some other types of trails, tough climbs and rocks, then the difference will be seen.

tire compounds, and strength of sidewall and so on. then you get what you pay for.

i would listen to these guys that have some of these tires. i used to work in a shop that sold general, and they are good tires, still made in america i think, and they were great tires, at a great price. also look at hankook, they are a real nice tire for cheap, we sell a lot of those now, and i was skeptical, but they have been problem free tires. and ford and kia uses them as oe equipment. hankook makes an mt tire.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:10 PM

Engine: strait 6, 4.0 HO

yea but some tires turn in to sliks and then ur stuck
Old 01-05-2009, 04:13 PM

i agree, that was my main point, most mud terrains will clean out well, obvioulsy some better than others. but its tough to say one mt tire does a much better job than another in tht point.

but then again, he's talkin all terrain tires to. so if he wants all terrain, and still wheel well, i'd say go with a better tire.

i can say personally i wheeled with a buddy w/ bfg all terrains and i though he was gonna have probs, went everywhere i did with bigger mt's.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:16 PM

Engine: strait 6, 4.0 HO

ya i agree
Old 01-05-2009, 04:44 PM

Year: 91

bfg are in my opinion worth every penny. have them on my ranger. Its a great tire mud, rain, snow. Oh and smell great when you show off.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:51 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0 I 6

bfg all the way but i worked there also Firestone m/t's are not rock crawler tires or mud bog tires.If you want that get bfgs or superswampers. Firestone overpriced

Quick Reply: BFG's vs. Dayton