Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

best way to re-install Lower Control Arm after spring swap?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 04:19 AM
awg
CF Veteran

Received 606 Likes on 516 Posts
Year: 96
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default best way to re-install Lower Control Arm after spring swap?

just swapped 2" front lift springs and LCA with poly bushes into my '96 Sports

To do this, I removed brake calipers, shock lower bolt, and Lower Control Arms..no other parts

My issue is difficulty install LCA...the "apparent" length is too long, so the rear bolts cannot be inserted

the axle is near full droop, but has shock lower mounts attached. Jacking the axle makes the issue worse, rotating the pinion angle upward

If I disconnect the shocks and go to absolute full droop, will that help?

The only other thing I can think to do is attach a hand winch to pull the whole axle forward?... as the vehicle is on jack stands at the front, this is not ideal

if i do that, I presume I would pull the axle one side at a time, toward the wheel end of the axle?

The other issue, is the LCA approaches the rear bracket at an angle, indicating the axle may be displaced sideways, or some other thing I am not aware off ?

Are the LCA's handed, or directional ?

Do I need to disconnect the trackbar, or any other parts?

I ran out of time, and started swearing, hope to finish off tomorrow. All tips most welcome

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-14-2018, 07:58 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 5.2

llYour basically going to need to pull it regardless. I just did this myself and had to use another vehicle and ratchet straps to get everything lined up.
Old 07-14-2018, 01:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 456 Likes on 369 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee(XJ)

Put a ratchet strap around the front swaybar to pull the axe forward and hook it to the transmission crosmeber to pull it back.
Old 07-15-2018, 02:34 AM
awg
CF Veteran

Received 606 Likes on 516 Posts
Year: 96
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by firebane
llYour basically going to need to pull it regardless. I just did this myself and had to use another vehicle and ratchet straps to get everything lined up.
Thanks Gents

Fortunately, I had made provision for a worst case scenario, with a vehicle in front, and sturdy post to the side.

The axle had displaced backward and sideways, probably due to the 2" lift springs.

I disconnected the trackbar, and tried a 6ft lever..might as well used my p....

needed the winch and chains to drag each side forward enough to connect the rear LCA bolts (after winching and strapping the axle across about 1/2")

The worst part was reconnecting the trackbar bolt, maxxed out my winch, thought about drilling new holes, and how fine an adjustable item would be.

short test drive seems ok, slight scrape, think i bent the splash guard up against the disc, tomorrows job + torque up the LCA bolts

did not anticipate so much force would be required, estimate +1000lbs, imagine ppl have got caught with this before!

have a vision of thrashing some PO with my torque wrench, till "Red Loctite" is everywhere, then finishing them off with my 7ton floorjack...which is what I needed to undo the LCA bolts